Flushing Honda Outboard

Mullatt

Hi all,

I have just purchased a new boat with Honda 30HP motor, and even though I have had many boats over the years, this is the first brand spanker I have ever had and want to ensure I do the right thing maintenance wise. With previous motors I have used muffs to flush after each time in salt water and never had any issues, however after talking to the selling dealer, reading the Honda manuals etc, I am a little unsure of the what method is the best way to flush after salt water use. The dealer told me that if I use muffs, I must 'tape' up the water intakes. He didn't think that this was the best way. I asked about using the screw in connector on the leg, but he also didn't think that this was a complete method! He suggested just to use a drum/ container to drop the motor into and flush! If that's the case that's fine , however as my trips to the coast involve about a 4 hour return drive, Its probably not that practical to carry a large drum with me unfortunately!

I have read about flushing bags......has anyone any comments about these?

I would appreciate all opinions/thoughts on the best way to flush my new Honda. Comments from fellow Honda owners would be most useful too.

Thanks

Dave

Hi, as with any outboard used in salt water flushing can make a big deal to longevity so I would use what Honda recommend and not sure what they mean by taping up the intakes-that is where the ear muff style of flusher needs to go to get cooling water to the powerhead. Be on top of replacing the internal anodes too so ask the servicing dealer about this at service time and if they are unsure or have not mentioned it maybe find someone else.

Cheers,

Huey.

Thanks for the reply Huey. This motor has 3 intakes, the normal 2 where the muffs sit over plus a 3rd one higher up, this is the one they are saying to tape up. My assumption was that by taping this one up it would give a stronger water flow!

Do you think this would be a correct assumption?

Dave

Hi, looking at the intakes in the Honda brochure I have they look pretty standard to me and if you have a good ear muff flusher (there are some bad ones out there) then I would think the ears would cover the whole intake. This style of water intake has been around 40 odd years in some brands and from powerhead down the basic principle of all outboards are pretty much the same. As mentioned maybe call Honda if you are worried.

Cheers,

Huey.