Going from 2 stroke to 4 stroke

Scienceman

I have a 14 yo 475 Quintrex cuddy cabin + 70hp Yamaha 2 stroke (circa 1999). I am considering upgrading to a 4 stroke as I want decreased engine noise (estuary stealth fishing and less noise while traveling). I don't rack up large distances but improved fuel efficiency would be good too.

I do have concerns about performance, especially getting on the plane and increased weight. It was suggested that I would need to go up in hp to 75 or 80 otherwise I wouldn't be happy with holeshot peformance.Also reliability and potential corrosion issues over time weigh on my mind. Yamaha 2 stroke are basically bullet proof, low cost to maintain and are cheap to repair if it ever breaks down.

So, who has made the switch and been happy or unhappy?

I don't think you will notice too much of a noise difference at WOT.

I love my 60 hp Yammie 4 stroke. The fuel efficiency is awesome & it

never misses a beat.

It came with my boat when I bought it.

The new clean tech 2 strokes are well worth looking at as well.

To be honest, if I was upgrading an old engine I would probably go to a

new e-tech.

Less servicing means a lot of money saved over time, but you do still have

to pay for the oil they use.

Huey would be the best one to give you the pros & cons of each.

Cheers,

Grant.

Hi, this subject has been done to death and you are not compares apples to apples comparing an old fashion carby engine to a clean engine. Personally all the reasons you like your current engine- light weight, simple design with a lot less moving parts and performance come with an E-TEC plus the world's best emissions, a lot quieter running and great fuel economy. A 75HP E-TEC will outperform your current engine while all the while burning half the fuel plus they come with the best warranty, lowest service costs (the oil you buy once a year will cost you a lot less than yearly services on other clean tech engines), SST prop and for a while $750 cashback so unbeatable and yes we can sell any brand we would like and service them all just prefer the brand we do for the above reasons and more.

Cheers,

Huey.

Thanks Huey, I have had a good chat with you previously and understand the benefits of the E-TEC but the aim for my post is to get feedback from those that have actually made the switch and what their experience has been. This is a much more personal thing than techs & specs. I didn't mention E-TEC because it kind of sits in between 2 and 4 stroke in terms of benefits, so I would expect a more extreme experience when from 2 to 4 stroke, either happy or not.

I switched over about 3 years ago to a 4stroke from a old 2stroke carbi to efi 4stroke and more than happy with performance and even better uses halve the fuel i used to use plus no 2stroke oil to add.I would never go back ,luv the quietness of the engine and no smoke.and with any engine if they are maintained and serviced properly ,the motor will look after you,if you know what I mean,so I hope that helps abit cheers dunc333

Hi, how do you think an E-TEC sits in between carby and 4-Strokes in terms of benefits. They do everything a 4-Stroke does, like being clean, quiet and fuel efficient BUT they perform well, are a simple mechanical devise with a lot less moving parts and good weight. I can point you in the direction of plenty of people who have made the switch from old tech to new tech and they are very happy and you would be with any clean tech engine but you will need to spend more money to buy a higher HP 4-stroke engine and also factor in the service costs. Swing by here one day and I will show you a 9 year old 4-Stroke cylinder head with only 216 hours on it-that was flushed after each use and then you can make your own mind up. The simple facts are all clean engine are clean, they are all quiet and they are ALL smoke free and as for adding oil, so once a year you are topping an oil bottle vs draining the sump oil and changing filter plus all the other things needed with valves (check the owners manuals of some brands and see what should be done at pretty low hours) and do not think for a minute a 4-Stroke does not use oil working hard like an outboard does.

It is your boat so you can fit anything you like, just like I can choose to stock anything I like and everyone likes what they like but I have seen more than most and on average run a boat a day with all sorts of engines on the back and I know what I would fit. getting replies like I switch from an old tech engine to any clean tech engine and they are happy is what should happen, it is like a guy saying I got rid of a 1980's car and bought a brand new car of another make and how make better is this brand than the first brand-it is pointless comparison comparing old vs new.

Cheers,

Huey.

Edited by Huey @ Huett Marine

G'day science man, I went from a yammie 2 stroke to a mercury optimal to a yammie hpdi and now own a yammie 4 stroke 150.

The 4 stroke is by far and away the quietest and cleanest engine I have ever owned and for that reason would never go back. Yes the opti and hpdi had more performance on my boat however nothing that noticeable. It is a no brainer to me and would only ever buy a 4 stroke from here in in. Originally when I went to the 4 stroke, I uses to try and turn the boat on thinking it was off because it was so quiet oly to realise it was on. It has never missed a beat and I've done. 2 seasons with it and approximately 250 hours and couldn't be happier. Any questions, feel free to ask.

I recently just went from a 130HP saltwater series (2007) Yamaha to a 200HP Yamaha 4 stroke. In the time I ran the Yamaha 2 stroke it performed faultlessly.

However, it blew smoke when trolling at low speeds using the Yamaha genuine oil and if you had a 10-15 knot tail wind the fumes were over bearing in the cockpit. It was also very thirsty $$$$$$ to run.

My new engine which I have had since August this year is bloody awesome in everyway. No exhaust smoke at all, super quiet that occasionally when fishing you actually forget its running.

It also uses significantly less fuel then the 130hp 2 stroke. Recently I have been getting 70kms for just 40 litres of fuel and that's pushing a 6.5mtr fibreglass boat. In my old 5.5mtr glass boat with the 130hp 2 stroke a 80km return trip out to Browns mountain I was burning about 100 litres. So the fuel saving for me has been a huge benefit.

My old 2 stroke engine had heaps of torque and was very responsive compared to my new 4 stroke. So if you are towing skiers or kids on tubes go for the 2 stroke Etec. If you are just cruising and fishing go with a 4 stroke Yamaha.

Both good motors just my opinion.