Buying a Used Tinny

James_h

Hi Guys I am looking to buy a second hand 12ft tinny.

I have one lined up to buy which I suppose to pickup tonight. When I went to get it the guy didn't have any rego papers for it. Said he had lost them and had not gotten around to transferring it into his name. So I have backed away from the sale until such time I can get some advise on what the go would be.

Any advise guys????

Guest Aussie007

james, avoid that boat, ive been down this path with boats and jetskis as a boat doesnt need yearly inspection to keep the registration a boat can be registered for many years if someone keeps up the yearly payment and ive found a lot of old people pay the registration each year and dont bother to look twice.... the boat often passes from hand to hand once it goes from the guy who bought it and never transferred the rego to his or her name than sells it once more will never get the right paper work together as the new owners name wont match that of the person on the notice of disposal last handed in saying the boat was sold

maritime and the RTA are very strict with these rules and a massive pain in the ass, people will tell u all u need is a stat declaration but this doesnt work ive tried it

ive even been called a liar and told i wrote out my own receipt by the maritime guy at liverpool when i genuinely left my license at the police station when getting the stat dec filled out so i had no ID he said i just went outside to write the receipt while i was really driving back to the police station :ranting2:

save the heart ache mate

As Gazza said. Going down that road is painfull.

If the boat is old and has no hull id plate you can take your receipt to a boat shop and get a id plate made up and you should have no problem, if like my 11 footer it was last regoed many many years ago.

for mine, 12 footers are not worth the drama, by the time you finish all the stuffing around you would probably be better of buying new. Hit Huey up and see what he can do for you.

My mate bought a second hander just for the motor and trailer, got a brand new tiny and scrapped the old boat for cash. (tight arse or frugal)