Harbour for NYE - who is taking their boat?

locodave

Really not worth it, it's like bedlam out there on New Year's Eve. You won't be able to relax and have fun if you're the skipper, whether cruising or moored - there will just be too many people and boats on the water.

Hi,

We spent NYE on the harbour the year before last and had a great time got to get there real early find a spot close to the exclusion zone facing the bridge (there it is hard for someone to pull up in front of you and block your view) and drop anchor.

There are a few ars@#$%s around who don't have a clue or just don't care so you have to have your wits about you. IMO it is worth the effort at least once, we are going again this year.

Regards

Bob & Robbie

Edited by Robroy

If they get their act together at Roseville Bridge Ramp. Last time I was there they were redoing the parkings, and If not finished by NY, i wonder how far you have to walk ...

Otherwise, if you are lucky enough to get the boat in the water, and have a lot of patience, it's worth it.

But the skipper cannot drink, and have all security items on board.

its a nightmare! i prefer not be going but yes I will be there like every other year to keep the :wife: happy .

the first time we went we returned to the boat ramp (west Ryde) as soon we were able to go under the Harbour bridge (12:15) boat was back on the trailer about 4am & there was still a line up waiting for there turn to retreive there boats.

Edited by oz_brett

I am also thinking to take my missus for the NYE firework and which ramp would it best to launch? I am thinking to launch at burns bay ramp and watch the firework from a far distance to stay away from the crowds. What would people here suggest?

I have done it a few times, both in trailer boats and in my my 36'. Including the Navy Review a month or so back.

My first trailer boat was a 15' nautiglass, my next a 540 Signature. I took both out for for NYE fireworks. I used to use the ramp at Drummoyne.

A few points, you need to get in and set up early.

It is also worthwhile being prepared to sit for an hour after the fireworks, the traffic on the harbour straight after is ridiculous. So many boats leave, and particularly large cruisers, and they all are in a hurry and only know one speed, full throttle.

The resultant wake, and waves can be very disconcerting and dangerous particularly in a small boat, and can really dampen an otherwise great night.

Also be aware that anchors can get crossed and you have to be very alert at the end of the night as to what is happening around you.

For the Navy Review I anchored in Farm Cove with 2 other boats, one decided to leave at the end, but turned round and came back.

Honestly leave it an hour after the fireworks and you will have a great night, you also won't have the traffic jam and frayed tempers at the boat ramp by the time you get there.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Guest Aussie007

I was thinking the same but have been told by many that it is a nightmare, both on the water and at the ramps. Might just have a drink on my boat on dry land

that would be alright if u live on the harbour no need to wet the boat, drop the anchor on the lawn and crack a VB lol :drunk:

its a nightmare! i prefer not be going but yes I will be there like every other year to keep the :wife: happy .

the first time we went we returned to the boat ramp (west Ryde) as soon we were able to go under the Harbour bridge (12:15) boat was back on the trailer about 4am & there was still a line up waiting for there turn to retreive there boats.

ive thought about doing it but post like this keep me away, over 3 hours to use the ramp :1giveup::( i will eventually do it one year just to say i done it and experienced it, but thats an awful long time to wait to use the ramp

You do all realise that everyone is going to tell you how bad it is, how dangerous, how uncomfortable etc, etc, etc. all in the hope that there will be less boats out there for those of us that do go and enjoy it.

Think about it, plan it, don't rush the evening, try it and enjoy it, even if you only do it once.......then tell everyone how bad it is

You do all realise that everyone is going to tell you how bad it is, how dangerous, how uncomfortable etc, etc, etc. all in the hope that there will be less boats out there for those of us that do go and enjoy it.

Think about it, plan it, don't rush the evening, try it and enjoy it, even if you only do it once.......then tell everyone how bad it is

True that and I am going to do it this year to experience it myself. At least I can get it done & dusted and not always thinking about it.

I am also thinking to take my missus for the NYE firework and which ramp would it best to launch? I am thinking to launch at burns bay ramp and watch the firework from a far distance to stay away from the crowds. What would people here suggest?

if you can make a bed on the boat stay the night & you will enjoy it from 1am onwards the harbour is dead still & so peaceful (for me anyway out like a light!) wake up at sunlight to Sydney at its best