light braid

krause

Hi all. I've recently bought a shimano siena/catana combo and am looking to spool it with braid. It is a 2500 siena reel and im thinking of throwing 3 or 4lb braid on it. Problem is that I normally use power pro. But it's lowest rating is 5lb.

I know that they make a 'bite action' variant in lower ratings (3lb). Has anyone tried this? Any other suggestions. Would be used for estuary/sand flats. I am also a fan of colored line that is visible on the cast. Also does any one know how much 4lb braid the 2500 siena holds (150yd vs 300yd purchase), or is there a store in sydney that will spool from a bulk source? Any help would be awesome.

Cheers!

Use the 5 lb Power Pro if thats your preferred line its only .001" bigger in diameter than say 4lb Fins braid. As for spooling its normal practice to put some mono under the braid to stop it slipping on the spool and to pack the braid up to just under the lip of the spool to promote good casting / better distance.

Cheers Blood Knot

I use 10lb powerpro bite motion which I find fantastic, it fishes pretty much exactly the same as the regular powerpro, I haven't tried anything under 10lb but I'd suggest if you like powerpro, the bite motion does go to the lighter weights which might be perfect for you.

I used a fireline the very first time I used braid. I chose it because it was cheap, and hated it. It unraveled and split, and had a waxy coating that drove me insain. Are all firelines like this?

Cheers for the input

I'm fairly sure you can get Power Pro in less than 5lb. I've got 3lb power pro in moss green on my little bream stick, bought the line about 2 years ago. Have a look on the net and id think you'll be able to get some 3lb or something, unless they've discontinued it in lighter sizes?

Edited by macca02

I used a fireline the very first time I used braid. I chose it because it was cheap, and hated it. It unraveled and split, and had a waxy coating that drove me insain. Are all firelines like this?

Cheers for the input

I found the same thing mate, the stuff didn't last long before I took it off and bought some real braid

Yer I am hesitant to buy fireline again, unless they have a new, much better version. I cant find power pro below 5lb, but that is from shop info, havent looked online. They make bight action which is <5lb and bright orange. Might end up with that

The bite Motion has a white mark every meter which is great when fishing unweighted prawns or plastics, you can see the tiniest bit of line being taken from your spool. You can also use it like the depth hunter stuff and count how deep your fishing if you count the meters.