Latest EPRIB costs and technology

Dhutchy

Morning Raiders, I rarely go outside in my 5m tinny, but I thought just in case..

What is the current regulations on EPIRBS

What is the current cost

What is the current accuracy

and do you need one if you're only a kilometre or two off shore

Many thanks

Dhutchy

Its not about catching fish, but it helps

Not exactly sure when you actually are required to have one of the top of my head as I fish offshore and always need one. New GPS are 406 hz and by the catalogue I have around $280. The 406hz with GPS is around $350. The difference is the one with Gps actually sends co-ordinates out with the emergency signal. Hopefully it will be a wasted $350 but in the event you ever need to use it I cant see how you can go past a few extra bucks.

The limit is 2nm before you need one. I wrote quite a bit about EPIRBs before but my version of Tapatalk doesn't work with this site too well so I can't find it easily. In a nutshell a 406MHz with GPS sends the coordinates immediately it is activated and the local user terminal at AUSSAR can immediately pinpoint your location to approx 100m.

A 406MHz unit without GPS sends its signal immediately but it may take up to 100 minutes (1 hr 40mins) for two successive satellite passes to triangulate a fix. The accuracy is between 1km and 5 kms.

So, how long do you want to float around out there before (a) someone knows where you might be and (B) when they actually find you?

GPS EPIRBS can be found under $300 with 10 year battery life.

PS: a personal beacon is also a great thing but doesn't take the place of full size unit under the regulations.