Trailer tyre pressure

Plumb

What tyre pressure does everyone run?

I've got a 5.5 fibre glass boat assuming approx 1200kgs and to get the tyres to look like there's filled I need to pressurise them to 42 psi, the tyre states a max of 450 kpa (65psi), but i wouldn't want to be standing next to that for too long...

Cheers Luke

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

What tyre pressure does everyone run?

I've got a 5.5 fibre glass boat assuming approx 1200kgs and to get the tyres to look like there's filled I need to pressurise them to 42 psi, the tyre states a max of 450 kpa (65psi), but i wouldn't want to be standing next to that for too long...

Cheers Luke

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

G'day

I'll think you'll find tyres on your trailer will be light industrial tyres, as said previously the closer to optimum pressure the better it will tow and you will get a much better life span than if they are 22psi under inflated.

Cheers Leo

If you tow your boat less than 10km to your local ramp run them mid 30's with a good bulge in the sidewall to absorb shock.

If you load your boat full of gear and tow a couple hundred kms each trip you will want them up around the 50's to encourage good tyre wear, fuel economy and less resistance on your wheel bearings.

My usual ramp it a 2 min drive but I'm heading to port Stephens early jan. Hence the question. Might boost them to 50 psi and see how they go. FYI yes there light truck tyres.

Cheers Luke

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Load your boat and hook it up to the tow vehicle and set the tire pressure to say 50psi to start. Then get some chalk and draw a few lines across the tread of both tires. Go for a 10 min drive then look at the chalk lines. If they're scrubbing off right up to the side walls than you need more pressure. If they're only scrubbing off in the middle the pressure is too high and can be backed off a bit. The more weight, the more pressure is needed. Running the pressure too low will cause the side wall to bulge which causes heat build up and can cause the tire to delaminate on longer trips.

Load your boat and hook it up to the tow vehicle and set the tire pressure to say 50psi to start. Then get some chalk and draw a few lines across the tread of both tires. Go for a 10 min drive then look at the chalk lines. If they're scrubbing off right up to the side walls than you need more pressure. If they're only scrubbing off in the middle the pressure is too high and can be backed off a bit. The more weight, the more pressure is needed. Running the pressure too low will cause the side wall to bulge which causes heat build up and can cause the tire to delaminate on longer trips.

awesome sounds good

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

First off I would recommend you buy yourself a good quality accurate tyre air compressor and tyre gauge if you don't already own one.

I never rely on service station ones for my car,s or boats as they are often very inaccurate and used and abused.

Here's what to do:

Have your boat fully fueled and loaded as if your going on your normal trip.

Inflate your tyres to 50psi COLD PRESSURE in your driveway.

Go for a drive down the freeway preferably for approx 30min.

Come back and check your pressures again when the tyres are HOT they should have increased by NO MORE than 4psi,if HIGHER than 4psi they are under inflated and require more air,if they increased by LESS than 4psi you can drop the pressure a little.

Cheers.

Yes, don't be afraid of putting close to the maximum pressure in. I would also be checking the load rating

of your tyres and comparing them to the weight of the rig. Remember the max load rating is at maximum

pressure, so if you start putting significantly less than the max pressure in then the load rating will be

greatly reduced. You be asking for a blowout if you don't have much leeway to start with.