carp, its been a while

ving

first up, it sucks not being able to access this forum from work

Its been over a month since i have had a chance to wet a line... anywhere! I knew i'd get something in between Christmas and new year though and i have some trout fishing coming up with a buddy too.
I arrived at about 9'30am at my carp hole to find the fish up and feeding. they seemed to be particualrly active taking bugs and whatnot off the surface. I recieved a fairly quick hook up on a big fish which promptly draged my line through every submerged log in the pool to eventually break me off. Not long after i targeted this fish (see photo below), dropping a single corn kernel on a small hook in front of its nose. Its not a big fish but after only a small run i was glad to land it.
Later i moved up stream and was taunted by another large fish. I dropped a kenrnel in front of it, and it swam back for it but didnt pic it up. Swimming off it draggd the line with it, and I jagged it on the tummy. I actually thought I would land it, but it rubbed me off on the many abundant rocks submerged at this end.

2 large fish lost in one morning... I need a bigger rod!

post-31533-0-99670100-1388130436_thumb.jpg

post-31533-0-45349300-1388130445_thumb.jpg

Nice work Ving. You should come over Penrith way in a little back water of the Nepean. Diesel and I managed to get onto some stonkers here well over 70cm and about 5kg. The report for it is here. http://www.fishraider.com.au/Invision/index.php?showtopic=70782

I would be more than happy to take you there to have a go at them yourself. I wouldn't recommend anything less than a 3-6kg rod though with at least 10lb line. There are some crackers here.

Luc.

hi pomey, I had them looking at it. a couple of quick splashes and some sorta cruise up to it. my popper was a slow sinking one of about 3cm.

Paikea, i understand the ones here taste like crap :/

Cheers man, I'll have a look into this :)

They were looking at my spinner bait yesterday which I thought was odd.

Has anyone ever eaten a Carp? I know they are supposed to be good tucker in Germany but are our Carp the same as over there?

Cheers

Paikea

From http://flickandflyjournal.com/2011/06/24/what-are-the-most-sustainable-fish-to-eat/:

Yep, you heard it. Carp. Despised by millions of Aussies, the stigma and hatred surrounding carp is often deep seated and strongly ingrained. They are one of Australia’s worst pests, providing competition for our freshwater native species and contributing to reduced water quality in many areas. However, while it’s obvious the carp are doing some damage, they have often been used as a scapegoat (scapefish) to explain decades of poor catchment management and degrading farming practices. There are a lot of popular misconceptions about carp. One of these is that they can’t be eaten. In fact, carp are one of the most widely consumed fish in the world in terms of volume and distribution. They grow quickly, are resilient, and prepared and cooked correctly, can be pretty decent to eat.

The trick to carp is to catch them in cooler, faster flowing water, where there is less turbidity and better water quality. They need to be deep skinned, which involves taking off the layer of fattier flesh between the main fillet and the skin. Carp have some fine bones, but these are easily removed. Deep fried with a strong Asian-style sauce (try soy sauce, chili, garlic and honey), you may be pleasantly surprised. Another Asian delicacy is deep-fried carp swim bladders. I tried these once when I was a kid and they were delicious. Not sure of the recipe, couldn’t find it easily. It was a Singaporean woman who cooked it, so this might provide a lead.

Many people will think this is crazy, disgusting, cook it with a brick and then eat the brick, etcetera, etcetera, hardy ha ha, but if you’re interested in sustainability and can approach your procurement of protein objectively and scientifically, you might be onto a winner. Most people’s experience of carp is trying it cooked whole, guts, scales and all on a dirty bbq at the age of 13…no wonder it tasted like shit.

Travelling to China regularly, taking the ferry from Hong Kong to Shenzhen, where the water is thick and black like oil, yet littered with fishing boats. And travelling north around Ningbo, Shanghai, where it is hard to tell the mud from the water.

Yet fish seems to be a mainstay on our menu.

All I can say is I have never tasted the flesh due to the chilli !

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

I'd rather eat my sweaty undies than a carp.

Well, speak for yourself by all means but that was not the question. Nobody here wonders about your undies, do you have any experience of eating carp? Maybe you have and just prefer your sweaty undies, in which case who am I to argue?

Well, speak for yourself by all means but that was not the question. Nobody here wonders about your undies, do you have any experience of eating carp? Maybe you have and just prefer your sweaty undies, in which case who am I to argue?

good for you mate. by the sounds of it and the extreme methods you go to to mask the taste of the actual fish, you love it. you can have my share.

good for you mate. by the sounds of it and the extreme methods you go to to mask the taste of the actual fish, you love it. you can have my share.

Extreme methods? I didn't do anything, just quoted from a website. But what about you? Have you tried eating carp? Or your undies? Why do you prefer one over the other?