Fly fishing the flats for whiting

Longfish

not too tricky if you can combat the problem of being stealthy enough to get to them before they see you... ... oh and keep an eye out for little stingrays

check out my previous posts - i put something up a little while ago on this topic.

Cheers, guys...I will google that fly (very slow morning in the office...i will probably have time to tie a couple aswell!)...

Mark...I can't find that old thread of yours, even by viewing your old posts from your profile?!..any idea what the thread was called?

strange..... I can't see it in my posts either..

http://www.fishraider.com.au/Invision/index.php?showtopic=66264

I've upgraded my outfit since that post but still using the same types of flies.. have added a few med / large prawn imitations to the array also.

Whiting will hit most flies on flats, just make sure you're mending the line correctly as it's quite easy for a fly to look unnatural especially with the way the current runs across sand flats.

• 6 years later...

Hi All,

Rather than starting a new thread I thought it would be easier to revive an old one. Catching luderick on weed flies has sparked my interest in other species for this coming summer. In particular whiting on the Sydney sandflats.

I have a 7 weight rod with both floating and intermediate lines. I've started working out spots where there is an excellent chance of finding whiting and are of wading depth.

Looking back through the past Fishraider whiting on fly posts most seem to be going back a few years. I'm hoping to get more recent information and so far my research suggests:

• try to sight fish for them with a rising sun and polarising glasses as it highlights them in the water
  • ideally a bit of orange or red in the lures has a tendency to attract them
  • let the fly get to the bottom as small sand cloud when you then strip line can get their attention
  • try not to use flies which are long as they will often hit the tail and it makes it difficult to set the hook

I've seen some poppers made for fly fishing for whiting but am having a little difficulty deciding which flies to use (I have some shrimp patterns). Is there anyone out there that has been pretty consistent on catching whiting on fly in Sydney and can you suggest some fly patterns and aha moments (e.g. stripping speed).

Thanks in advance,

Derek

Edited by DerekD
  • Like 1

Hi Derek, I was thinking of using some of those shrimp patterns from off bait jigs. There's a few around who tie shrimp/prawn type fly patterns that look good. I would love to see a surface strike from a goo whiting. I met a bloke up at Fishermans Reach (South West Rocks) who tied his own and was right into whiting & Bream on fly from his yak. If you chase bream on fly I think you need to learn to tie your own or go broke!!!

I've targeted them with good success on worm flies, but done better on shrimp/yabby patterns.

Wading flats I know they feed on, I cast up  current and basically deadstick the fly, letting it drift like a yabby that has been flushed from its hole.

If you're quiet, you can wade to within 10 metres of them, no problem, as long as you stay down current and out of their eyesight.

• Like 1

I went on line the other day and purchased:

• Red worm flies
  • Crazy charlies tied with some red in them
  • A fly which looks very much like a saltwater yabbie (nipper)
  • Some small baitfish profile flies

I've already have some shrimp flies. There were one or two other flies (baited breath with small hooks) mentioned during my research which I have to track down.

Going to be an interesting learning curve.

Edited by DerekD
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Green Hornet said:

I've targeted them with good success on worm flies, but done better on shrimp/yabby patterns.

Wading flats I know they feed on, I cast up  current and basically deadstick the fly, letting it drift like a yabby that has been flushed from its hole.

If you're quiet, you can wade to within 10 metres of them, no problem, as long as you stay down current and out of their eyesight.

Thanks for that GH - this is the sort of information I was after. Did you run a floating or intermediate or sinking line? Tippet size? The other thing I've heard is look for water 4 feet or less in depth.

1 hour ago, DerekD said:

Thanks for that GH - this is the sort of information I was after. Did you run a floating or intermediate or sinking line? Tippet size? The other thing I've heard is look for water 4 feet or less in depth.

I use a floating line with a hand tied, tapered leader. From the fly line I tie roughly 1.5m of 15kg, then 700mm of 6kg to a 1.0m, 3kg tippet.

My favourite spot is a large sandflat, riddled with yabby holes. I like to fish water around knee deep, as its easy to wade quietly and spot fish with my polarised sunnies.

For clear, shallow water the best approach is cast at an angle to the current and let the fly drift back to them. That way you're not spooking the fish with your fly line directly over them. Try not to use too much angle so you stay in the fish's blind spot.

• Like 4

13 hours ago, motiondave said:

I use a 1/16th #2 hook jighead with a fat garden earthworm on slow retrieve. 

Hi MD,

Matching the hatch.... but is it fly fishing???

Went fly fishing with a mate on Glenbawn dam for bass years ago and he hooked up on a nice bass then admitted he'd "matched the hatch" by getting one of the live grasshoppers we had swarming at that time of year and putting it on the end of his fly line instead of an artificial. It still makes me laugh.

:)

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, DerekD said:

Hi MD,

Matching the hatch.... but is it fly fishing???

Went fly fishing with a mate on Glenbawn dam for bass years ago and he hooked up on a nice bass then admitted he'd "matched the hatch" by getting one of the live grasshoppers we had swarming at that time of year and putting it on the end of his fly line instead of an artificial. It still makes me laugh.

:)

It  is similar to squeezing and rubbing the insects into artificial fly, just the next level - full worm/grasshoper replacement .

There is an expression that lures catch more fishers than fish...

These are some of the ones I've picked up here and there for the sandflats fishing (with a few more on the way)...

IMG_2529.thumb.JPG.505c0de3b6d2511933735c8cf0e1d8c3.JPG

Top 3 on the left are a shrimp pattern. The green one is referred to as a baited breath. The upper 3 on the right are designed to imitate worms and the three lower ones on the right are a crazy Charlie. The one lowest on the left I've forgotten. I'm trying to find similar but with smaller hook sizes.

Now to actually catch some fish with them this spring and summer season...

Edited by DerekD
  • Like 3

For dead sticking the shrimp patterns are the go as they don't require water flowing over their body to take shape.

I tie a similar pattern to your lower left one on 1 and 1/0 hooks. I've always known them as silver bombers. Basically a smaller version of the popular barra fly, the gold bomber.

P1010949.jpg

I certainly don't profess to be a great fly fisherman, but I do enjoy it, I have caught quite a few decent Whiting with a simple old bread fly while fishing for Mullet, there is a nice flat a few minutes walk from my house, and I often fish there, a bit of bread soaked in water so it sinks, and the bread fly is all I have, and it works.

The deliveries are starting to come in and a quick stop at my local tackle shop has rounded off the selection of flies for whiting. I'm mixing it up as much as I can. Some poppers, worms, crazy charlies (with red) and my favourite so far is the yabby imitation.

IMG_2588.thumb.JPG.b69554748c146e59b336a3dd5f75fa4e.JPG

The photos on the website (see below) for the yabbies looked a little better but the actual is close enough that I don't think the fish will care.

526892380_Screenshot_2020-08-31SurfaceSkippySaltwaterYabbyFlySize6WhitingBreamFlatheadPrawnFlyeBay(1).png.3de5557c493a7f9c34ac925495b4e3f9.png381203397_Screenshot_2020-08-31SurfaceSkippySaltwaterYabbyFlySize6WhitingBreamFlatheadPrawnFlyeBay(2).thumb.png.9d17dc27f9e5ac9f02e861956baaf369.png1207096331_Screenshot_2020-08-31SurfaceSkippySaltwaterYabbyFlySize6WhitingBreamFlatheadPrawnFlyeBay.thumb.png.614376ec4887f94e84a817b642730197.png

Bring on the warmer weather and the whiting....

I also have a few bread flies so I will probably end up trying @noelm 's suggestion (thank you for that).

Edited by DerekD
  • Like 1