New to fishing and Wisemans Ferry Fishing for flathead (or anything else)

stretchoz

Hi all

I'm a newbie to this sight and also to fishing in general.

Yeas I've been fishing a few times but to tell you the truth I have no idea what I'm doing sometimes. I know all the basics like setting up the rod and line and casting.

Recently got back from Batemans Bay with my son (10 year old) and a mate and had a absolute ball fishing the estuary and on his boat.

So for Xmas I decide that Santa Claus can buy me and my son some new fishing rods.

Well to my surprise there were 2 presents under the tree from Santa. They were Shakespeare Amphibian combos (not the best but Santa was on a budget this year).

Anyway, this Saturday we are off to Wisemans Ferry for a spot of fishing.

This is were I need help.

What spots do I try that are not far from the ferry crossing?

I've read somewhere that near the old cemetery on Singleton rd is a good spot but had a look in Google earth and looks like there is no access to the waters edge or am I just looking in the wrong spot?

Can anyone point out a few good spots and also what bait to use, where to get it and is there any method to use when going for a flathead?

Also what's the best time?

Like I said I'm only new to fishing so bear with me and my silly questions.

Thanks for any help.

Brian.

Hi mate,

The water up that way is classified as freshwater so you don't really get flathead out that way. Well I haven't and I haven't seen any. Could be wrong. If you want to get flathead then go down to Spencer. You can also hook onto Bream and some Jews down that way.

Mate the area is Salt water and you get Flathead well up river past wisemans. Flathead are prolific through Wisemans. If land based try Hawkesbury Prawns for a shot at some bream and Flathead. You can also access the water from Singleton road easily.

There are lots of places along Singleton Road. If you can get down to near the end there is a large table shaped rock that juts out from the bank and is a great spot. Throw a few SPs in each direction or float a few prawns in the current. The deeper water is not too far from shore there and you can get quite a mixed bag.

A good spot for Jew are just east of the spencer caravan park called neverfail. Google it! You can access it land base, great spot. Many different species there too. Hawkesbo prawns are the go, but because of the current, half hitch the prawns with your leader. Makes for better bait presentation! Good luck! :)

Cheers scratchie!!!