fishing sydney wharves at night

danfish

Hi Guys

After recent posts of nice jews caught off the wharves i wouldn't mind giving fishing in the parra a go. Just to fish not to catch a feed.

As I live in the hills and usually travel 1hr+ to hit the beaches on the northern beaches mostly, it would be good to have something more local when the itch strikes.

After reading some of the old threads, its clear that there are a minority that cause trouble at places like these.

My question is would it be safe to fish any of these spots e.g (kissing point, meadowbank, anything else?) by myself at night? Are there any wharves that offer better protection then another e.g camera's, lighting, security, parking?

I can handle anti social behaviour to a degree but if my life becomes in danger or if robbing is a likely outcome I would rather not take the risk.

Any thoughts, feedback?

Thanks

Dan

In my local spot a man was strangled with a cable by two undesirables.....

They asked for a smoke he was walking his dog and gave one to them...next thing he is out cold on the ground after one of them doubled back and put an extension cord around his neck.

I might sound a bit soft but I would not chance fishing alone at night in Wollongong let alone Sydney.

I have found over the years that night brings the trouble makers and the crazies out. Night fishing can be productive but is it worth the risk fishing alone? Fish with a mate/mates at night and at least you can have laugh if the fishing is slow.

I haven't found a problem with fishing at night time on wharfs on the parra river, but I guess I'm bigger then most guys, so I don't attract to much trouble.

Another problem with Parra river fishing is it gets bloody packed on pretty I much every wharf and fish able spot, mostly on Friday, Saturday and Sundays nights, but week day nights have their fair share of people usually.

With the cameras on wharfs, most of them don't work...

Any more question mate, I'd be happy to help!

Meadowbank Ferry Wharf has alot of people traffic during the weeknights and the wharf further down has alot of people flow with people taking walks or jogging or walking their dogs.

The new Rhodes Wharf has people fishing from it regularly.

If ya need company in these places i can join ya for a few hours if ya need.

PM me if ya need mah number.

Trung

I do the majority of fishing by myself on many many wharves. Im 5'10" and 70kg, so by no means a big boy, and had a couple incidences. One being at Jeffery St Wharf in the harbour. Had a couple fellas try and stand over me for my stradic setups, but a simple, extremely calm threat of a sharp object worked quite well.

Another incident i ended up in quite a decent punch up when some fella started casting right next to me within a hair of my shoulder, deliberately casting over my line and tried to muscle me out of my spot that i had been in for hours. I had a bad day previously, and he had a bad night.

Have also had a couple moments where i have moved on as i could sense trouble was brewing.

What im saying is, although you can avoid the majority of incidences at night, and the majority of people are extremely friendly, the occasional dickbag does rock up so try and set up a plan to avoid drama when you get to a wharf. Occasionally, there will be those moments where you cannot avoid the dramas when solo fishing at night, so if you are worried about a confrontation i would advise fishing with others. Security cameras can be a deterrent to this behavior, but not a cure.

Hi mate, I regularly fish those wharves only at night. Over 5 years at least once a week. Have not had one single incident, whether by myself or with my mrs. Met a lot of nice people there over the years. Honestly if you're there to fish, then by all means you are entitled to. Advice I can give, use your manners, keep in mind fishing etiquette and you should be sweet. Majority of the people just wanna catch that big one or learn, if you give em a bit of knowledge and advice ( a pic or two never hurt :P )they'll most likely let you fish with them. Plus its always fun to hear their supposed stories of that 40 kg jew that got away on 100lb line after a 3 hour fight or their 60 cm bream.

See you there one day! :D

Guest Aussie007

theres a lot of friendly land based fisho's around ive met a few over the years when squdding around port hacking but u do run into the odd douch bags

i was trying a new place to me which was the balmoral wharf i was alone, two guys rocked up and one wanted to pinch my gear his friend was sensible and said no than the other guy said "i'll just take it" so i moved about 10 meters away from the clowns than i eventually left, i could do without the bs when im out for a nice nite fishing solo i look for piece and quiet

i remember reading a report on FR or another sydney fishing forum about kissing point wharf a man was supposedly stabbed about a year ago, the guy who mentioned it was fishing near the boat ramp at the time of this happening

everywhere u go in sydney you'll run into anti social people being drunk wanting to fight or just wanting to rob u, best thing is buy a boat or kayak

As the others have said, you get all sorts. Mainly good people. Balmoral late one night, fishing alone I had a very large very drunk close talker spend 20 mins telling me how to catch everything you could think of. I just maintained a friendly conversation even as he annoyed the crap out of me and he eventually cleared off.

A couple of weeks ago down at Ermington, about midnight and a group of about 8 young leb guys turn up looking pretty dodgy, Im thinking here we go, this could be interesting.

They make there way out to the pontoon, im feeling pretty vulnerable even though I think I can handle myself alright.

I turn around and ask how there going and what they ve been up to tonight. Turns out they are a top bunch of young guys most keen fishos and chatted to them for about an hour before they cleared off.

Anything you do by yourself at night(not in your home) comes with risks but so does driving to work every day in Sydney traffic.

I recon get out there with a positive attitude, be aware of your surroundings don't be lairy and catch some fish.

When I fish the beaches by myself at night I keep my fishing knife in my pocket, never had a problem but if I ever do I have the knife there not to stab someone but hopefully make them think twice about robbing or bashin me. 99% of people I run into but are nice and just normal people, I think you'll be alright.