Botany Bay Artificial Reefs

Rodb73

Hello Raiders,

I'm fairly well addicted to this site and check it far too many times a day. I have only recently got my 15ft Nautiglass in the water after 2 years of rebuilding it (work kept getting in the way), now it's in, I'm relatively new to boat fishing and spent a lot of time in the Bay over the break, with next to no success. Just a bunch of Reds and a couple of legal flatties.

I'm heading out this afternoon to try the a.r's this afternoon and just wondering how they fish at the moment and if there are any techniques I should be aware of to increase my chances please?

Ideally I would like to be targeting Kings, but I think I might have to let them come with experience, so basically anything decent would be nice.

Once again, you don't get a better site for the novice to learn from

Cheers.

Havnt heard much about the artificial reefs apart from some isolated reports of people passing over with down riggers and hooking into a king.

Head to molinox point. With some burley and fresh bait for rat kings and trevally, and if it's a bit quiet there head round the corner near the tug boats.

Harry

If it's to good to be true, it usually is...

I fish the bay a lot and find the A.R are not mature enough ATM to hold fish consistently.. You will have more luck with the established structures at Molli, the drums, the sticks , oil wharf and at watts reef etc.

If you are after a feed it is hard to miss out at the Towra sand flats with small blades / plastics

Hope this helps

Cheers

Trung

Thank you Trung,

As I mentioned at the start of the post, I frequently check the site and have to say, your name is one that comes up a lot. Keep up the good work, fisho's like me need all the literature they can get their hands on.

Cheers.

True story Rod , i read a a lot of posts as well and Trung has a good grip on the Bay , if i can get my trailer connection rewired tonight " thanks to my little 8 mth old Lab" i'll be hitting the Bay tomorrow after 1pm to flick some GULPS , i don't fish the AR's at all and get plenty just stalking the tugs and weed beds over at Kurnell ,Kings are something i definately need to chase but i'll need to upgrade a few line classes to hold on to them lol , keep an eye out for the "flickinlures" bowrider and come and say hello

cheers Mark

https://www.youtube.com/user/flickinlures

That's some great footage there Mark. Trung, I took your word and ventured out late yesterday into the Bay, it was too windy and we settled for the sand flats at Towra.

We got a stack of flatties, most of which were throw backs. We did manage to take 4 home though. (Sorry, no photos) I need to clear space on the phone. 2 at just shy of 40cm and 2 near on 50cm.

Of course there's always the one that got away. Something took me for a massive run, the fight was almost 5 minutes long with probably a little too much drag set, but it managed to straighten out my hook. I'd love to know what it was..!! My ticker is still pumping from it.

On the upside to losing that fish, at least I know my knots hold up...!!!

Thanks again to everyone for their responses.

Cheers

Rod.

Edited by Rodb