Need a new reel

flattiefisher27

G'day Raiders

I've saved up a bit of money and am planning on getting a new reel. The problem is i don't know which one to get!! I will be using the rod mainly for land-based fishing for bream, snapper, flathead etc (and hopefully the occasional king or jew). I have been looking at the Daiwa TD Sol II. I would prefer to use a spinning reel. If anyone has any recommendations they would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance

flattiefisher27

You are really trying to tackle too many species at once.

IMO as a general guide:

For bream/flatties, a size 1000 or 2500 would suffice

For snapper, 4000

For Jewies/ Kingies, I use a saragoosa 16000

Of course you still might land kingies on the 4000 or even the 2500 but why play games with big fish?

You are really trying to tackle too many species at once.

IMO as a general guide:

For bream/flatties, a size 1000 or 2500 would suffice

For snapper, 4000

For Jewies/ Kingies, I use a saragoosa 16000

Of course you still might land kingies on the 4000 or even the 2500 but why play games with big fish?

Do the fish know if your using the wrong size reel ?

I say - go all the way & get the big one

G'day Raiders

I've saved up a bit of money and am planning on getting a new reel. The problem is i don't know which one to get!! I will be using the rod mainly for land-based fishing for bream, snapper, flathead etc (and hopefully the occasional king or jew). I have been looking at the Daiwa TD Sol II. I would prefer to use a spinning reel. If anyone has any recommendations they would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance

flattiefisher27

Couple of questions:

Are you planning on using bait or lures and do you have a particular rod that you want to put this new reel on.

I must say what chriseels2010 was saying is correct your best to set up at least 2 outfits, think about what rod you want for light (bream /flaties) then match a reel to that size rod then do the same with a rod for kings & jews.

Chances are you will have a suitable rod already, as long as its not a general purpose rod (too heavy to be light & too light to be heavy) then its one to start with

Couple of questions:

Are you planning on using bait or lures and do you have a particular rod that you want to put this new reel on.

Hi bloodknot

I would be planning on mainly using bait like prawns and pilchard cubes. I was also looking at maybe getting a new rod with the reel. Any ideas?

Thanks

Flattiefisher27

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You are trying to cover a pretty wide field. If as you say you will mainly be targeting bream, flatties, snapper landbased, then you are probably fine with a reel around the #3000 size and rod about 7 to 8 foot in the 4 to 8kg range. ( Maybe a #3000 size Daiwa Caldia or a Stradic )

Cheers

Blood Knot

You are trying to cover a pretty wide field. If as you say you will mainly be targeting bream, flatties, snapper landbased, then you are probably fine with a reel around the #3000 size and rod about 7 to 8 foot in the 4 to 8kg range. ( Maybe a #3000 size Daiwa Caldia or a Stradic ) 

Cheers 

Blood Knot

Thanks heaps for the info bloodknot. I think I'm going to go with the stradic.

Also thankyou to everyone else for all the info they shared

Thanks again

Flattiefisher27

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Pretty much all reels i own are shimano, that being said the only non shimano reel i have is a 2000 Daiwa SOL (not the new one) and it has held up much better than my 2500 stradic. Stradic is noisy (bearings) and nowhere near as smooth compared to the SOL.

As others have mentioned though, you can't effectively target all those species with one reel. Get 2000-2500 spin reel, you'll be able to target flattys, bream and small jew.

Kings however, thats a different ball game.