The Entrance

mako2000

Its been a while since I have been able to get out for a decent fish but managed a week away at the Entrance over New years.

The first few days only saw a couple of Flathead until I managed to work the place out but after that every day saw plenty of Flathead, some whooper Flounder, Bream and whiting. Kept a few fish each day around the 42-45 cm mark and threw back probably at least a dozen legal fish every day as well. To top the week off the prawns were also running so a top feed was had most nights.

It was hard to get back to work last week but managed to sneak out for a couple hours on the Hacking yesterday after work for two 45cm flathead and a few squid as well.

Edited by mako2000

Hey guys up on the central coast for a holiday and need help!!!!

Taking my 6 yo son fishing on SP and would appreciate the heads up on where to look,staying at foresters beach.

Young blokes keen but the lack of fish is wearing thin lol

Although on the beach this morning we saw a large pod of dolphins which saved the day and gave me a new excuse for catching Zip....

Any help would be great we have a good array of plastics and 2 kg spin outfits cheers

Hi Anroo,

I would go up to the entrance and have a go under the Hwy Bridge there or in the channel near the mouth, whiting seem to be on the bit, and always a good chance for Flat heads and Breams. Good luck. Try to fish the Tide changes particularly low tide for whiting.

If you are willing to travel further, and have a boat, Lake Macquarie/Swansea is a great fishing location, or in Tuggerah Lakes there at the entrance can produce some big fish.

Further south, you can fish in the hawkesbury river, Patonga beach off the rocks there on the northern end.

Since you're staying at Forresters Beach, then go and try Spoon Bay, it's the next beach around the southern headland of Forresters. You drive up Spoon Bay Rd and walk down to the beach. There is little formal parking so go midweek and please respect the locals driveways.

Spoon Bay has a lot of rocks and reef close inshore. Walk down the beach toward Wamberal and you'll find some holes and gutters as it changes from reef to beach. The rocky area changes as the amount of sand varies during the year and from year to year so enjoy the walk and keep lookout for those fishy spots. Early morning and evening/night are best, as they are at Forresters itself.

You can walk/fish the entire length of beach from Spoon Bay to Terrigal.

If its a bit rough at Spoon Bay then give Bateau Bay a try at the middle to northern end. The southern end looks good but the bottom is barren rock and sand and I've found it to produce little but the occasional small shark (but that could my superior skill as "The Fish Jinx"). Heading a little further north, there is Blue Bay and then as mentioned The Entrance channel.

Since you're fishing lures or SPs there is also Picnic Point park and channel at The Entrance. It's off Tuggerah Parade where the main boat ramp is. Instead of fishing near the car park, follow the channel south toward Long Jetty and if you don't mind wading into the reeds or finding the gaps in them to wade out a little you will get onto some nice flatties by casting into the channel and retrieving with the typical flick and wind technique.

Depending on time and tide you could head south to Ettalong channel in Brisbane Water, opposite half tide rocks, or if you don't mind making it a day trip, if that's unsuccessful keep following the road toward Patonga and give Pearl Beach a try and then onto Patonga where you have the choice of the rocks at the north end, the beach and lagoon entrance at the south end or the lagoon/creek itself.

Have fun and good luck.

every focker is fishing up here at the moment LOL :mad3: Anroo - my boy and i always fish the entrance and come out with nice fish in our YAK . try the sand flats in the channel for whiting on worms or nippers , and beter yet if you have a nipper pump bring it with you plenty of wholes in the shallows . had takin ( between my son and i ) 7 whiting and a nice blackfish from there on the monday just gone . got the black fish casting into the deep just under the bridge .

for land based flatties , head north over the bridge and park on the next left straight after and get as close to the bridge as you can and hop the plastic back slowley ..

and there will be plenty of prawns around for a while yet !! enjoy . but dont tell anyone :secret: