Transducer hole in transom

Deschanel

After people's opinion who have a bit of boat knowledge. I have a 2009 Brooker Fisherman and currently upgrading my fishfinder. The old transducer cable passed through the transom in 1cm hole and was sealed and covered by clam shell cover. The new transducer cable (lowrance) needs a 25mm and I wasn't sure if enlarging the old hole will weaken the transom too much or just blank off the old hole and pass the cable over the transom.

post-4024-0-95490100-1389526035_thumb.jpg

post-4024-0-65758000-1389526186_thumb.jpg

Can you move the cable entry upward?

A 25 mm hole is not likely to weaken the transom. Move the new cable entry as high as you can and install a larger clamshell sealed with Sikaflex. Use aluminium pop rivets if you can rather than Stainless ones to prevent corrosion from using dissimilar metals

I would not enlarge the existing hole if it is next to the bracket in your pic. Just seal it up by using some sort of closed screwed fitting and use plenty of Sikaflex. I find that Whitworths have a wide range of fitting, you may find what you want there or go to a plumbing or electrical trade centre, I have often found useful fittings in both.

Cheers

Paikea

I guess what you are saying is the 25mm hole is the fit the plug through ? Maybe make the hole and then cut an aluminum plate big enough to cover the hole . Cut a slot in the plate the same size as the cable an then recover the hole sliding the plate down onto the cable and sika and pop rivet the plate into place .

Hope that made sense ?

Guest Aussie007

u have a few options

get a bigger cover if there available? i know the cover i just tried googling them couldnt find any

get the hole welded will cost about $50

sikaflex the hole put the cover back on and run the cable over the transom

whatever u do dont cut the cable

Edited by gazza