Dollies and kings

MitchM

Hi guys. Just a quick report. Started early sat morning from botany and headed straight to the first fad. I was stoked we were the first there. Fished it for a bit for one keeper 67cm. Then went to the far fad for three more keepers, the biggest went 86cm, and also seen three to four boats out there keeping undersized dollies, really got to me. But anyway headed back to the peak and managed two kings one going 80cm. After that we tried off Coogee for some snapper but the current was running way to quick so we pulled the pin.

post-23871-0-95601500-1389603870_thumb.jpg

Both species were taken on live yakkas. This seems to sought out the bigger fish. For the dollies I run a 25lb metre trace with a 5/0 hoodlum hook unweighted. And the kings a large single dropper paternoster rig 80lb.

Good one, good to see effort rewarded.

Not that ignorance is an excuse but until recently I did not know there was a size limit on dollies. I have never caught one and was thinking of changing that this year and only just found out about the size limit while doing a bit of research. Apparently it came in in 2007.

Hopefully these people only need a bit of education, I would like to think most fishos are responsible people(maybe I am deluded)

Yep it's 60cm & only one over 110cm in NSW for the Dollies, I've also seen quite a few boats keeping rat kings recently.

They should have a big bag and size limit board at each boat ramp highlighting sizes & limits for the most popular & common species as a lot of the time I think it's just that people aren't informed.

I suppose a 55cm king is still a large fish to most people. I have had the maritime guys stopping me for safety checks many times but never checkin my catch?

They should also have representatives handing out new measuring stickers when they change size or bag limits (as they have with Mulloway recently) at the boat ramps on weekends.

Just their presence at the boat ramps would act as a deterrent I recon.

We also need more parking for trailers at Rose Bay boat ramp that is clearly marked as reserved for trailers!!

Rant over.

Tight lines......