Beginner | Tips/Advice

Simon1986

Hi All,

It's my first time posting here, hope I'm in the right section first of all.

Been reading these forums for a couple of weeks and have since registered.

I've been fishing since I was a kid but have never taken it seriously or gone fishing on my own until the last couple of months, but thing is... I realised there is a lot more to fishing then I originally thought hahahaha sorry

At the moment I have a horrible set up, no name rod, no name reel, wish some no name line 8lb that I was given for free. I'm finding I'm not doing so well and it's all got to do with my set up.

I'm land-base fishing, Botany Bay, Dolls Point, Captain Cook Bridge etc..

I want to get a new rod/reel but don't know where to start...

Was wanting some thoughts?

Hope you guys can help & hope this is right section

Welcome, good to see you getting keen. That rod and reel would be a good starting point but being land based I would look at a slightly longer rod. With a set up like that with say 10 pound braid you could handle just about anything from the locations you have named. Starting out you will be looking for utility value before you figure out what sort of fisho you want to develop into. Hell you could be chasing marlin from a charter boat or stalking wild bass or trout in a remote bush setting this time next year or next week.

Good luck and remember you can not have too much gear, only too much to use.

Thanks for all the advice so far guys!

So far I think I will be starting using bait, been buying prawns, worms & chicken guts.. Looking at targeting Bream, Flathead.. Wouldn't mind a Jewfish.. Seen a few smaller ones floating around Botany Boat ramp (would obviously throw them back, but would be cool to get one).

For a bream and flathead rod a 2-4kg rod would be best but a jew from the shore can be a very hard fish to land with such light gear. I have to agree also that the rod should be slightly longer... At least a 7ft rod. A 2-4kg rod with 6lb braid will handle most things an estuary will throw at you and will also land you good salmon and tailor from the beaches with little steel spinners. It will also be a very good rod for trout and yellow belly inland. If you want to target jews from the shore I would recommend at least a 3-6kg rod with 12lb braid and 15lb leader (which also backs up as a nice snapper rod). Unfortunately there is no one size fits all with fishing gear so you will just have to get more as your needs require.

As far as the combo you suggested... The elf is a quality unit but the 7ft 2-4kg would be preferred.

Luc.

Honestly - rod/reel make doesn't matter, yes a good quality one will feel better but if you can cast to where you wanna be and reel in then I'd stick with cheaper gear to work out what your doing.

You're more likely to break something when you're newer to fishing so break cheap.

I've been fishing seriously for years and only have a $100 Diawa combo and catch loads of good sized fish.

Best thing to do is drop down to the local tackle shop and talk to them, get to know what rigs and set ups to use for what you want to do.

If you want some tutoring I'm more than willing on a weekend I'm free to meet up and show you some of my best tips.

Main thing I find which helps me is KISS - keep it simple stupid. Simple rigs, baits, lines... A hammer is only as good as the person holding it.

Good luck bro - hope this helps!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Honestly - rod/reel make doesn't matter, yes a good quality one will feel better but if you can cast to where you wanna be and reel in then I'd stick with cheaper gear to work out what your doing.

You're more likely to break something when you're newer to fishing so break cheap.

I've been fishing seriously for years and only have a $100 Diawa combo and catch loads of good sized fish.

Best thing to do is drop down to the local tackle shop and talk to them, get to know what rigs and set ups to use for what you want to do.

If you want some tutoring I'm more than willing on a weekend I'm free to meet up and show you some of my best tips.

Main thing I find which helps me is KISS - keep it simple stupid. Simple rigs, baits, lines... A hammer is only as good as the person holding it.

Good luck bro - hope this helps!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That's some great advise there tef1on and very kind of you to offer some mentoring.

Cheers scratchie!!!

I also agree with Tef1on that the gears does not matter much. I started with a cheapo 6ft rod and spinning reel and caught lots of decent fish with it. Then I bought a pen fishing rod , a 5ft1 toy-like fishing rod that is more fragile than a kid outfit found in any tackle shop, but still it's my favorite rod for flatties, breams, trevallies and whitings. Then for the beaches I bought a cheap ebay 11ft rod (saratoga) which caught me heaps of salmon and tailors and some sharks and a jewfish.

As long as you know the limit of your gears and know how to compensate for it (loosen the drag and play the fish) then you should be able to catch fish. Wait to acquire more experience before spending too much money on better equipments. It will be more frustrating to buy tons of expensive gears and still catch nothing. I used to do a lot of photography and they say "The camera doesn't make the photographer", well "The fishing outfit does not make the fisherman". A good fisherman can catch fish with just a hand line.

Start finding the productive spots, learn few rigs and knots, choose the bait for the targetted fish, learn how to catch bait (yakkas, maybe worms). If surf fishing, learn how to read the beach. Etc...

Practice till April/May when it will be the best time for fishing.

Wow!
Some awesome advice from everyone, very informative site!

I've been sitting down at least three times a week practicing knots and rigging up from scratch, getting it down to a fine art.

Have had a chat to my local bait store and he was a champ, older fella. Talked for a good 30mins about bait, line, rods, fish, weather etc..

Heading out again this weekend, hopefully catch something this time, might try a better braid this time.

Will let you know how I go this time

Thanks again everyone