Help me with new Rod and Reel combo [NSW]

LearningFisher112

Hi there :banana:

Purpose: Fishing at Rose Bay and possible move onto Little Bay in the future.

I'm very new to fishing and only went fishing a few times. I'm looking to buy a rod.

I've been doing some research and I've been recoemmeneded the following rod:
- Daiwa D-Shock Spin Combos - 7', 3-7kg, 2 Piece

Is there any other suggestions? I planning to spend in the $70-$80 and under range.

My inital plans was to fish at the beach at little bay but it seems to dangerous, so I think its best to go to Rose Bay first :) Also, this type of fishing required 10"-12" rods which I don't think is a good starting point.

Any help and advice is highly appricated!

:fishing1:

Edited by LearningFisher112

Hi Mate,

What size fish are you hoping to target? If you're just thinking of pan sized fish my opinion is that 3-7kg is a little on the heavy side, you'll get a lot more fun out of a lighter rod and also will be able to cast lighter weights further. What size reel is on the combo?

Hi Mate,

What size fish are you hoping to target? If you're just thinking of pan sized fish my opinion is that 3-7kg is a little on the heavy side, you'll get a lot more fun out of a lighter rod and also will be able to cast lighter weights further. What size reel is on the combo?

Target: I heard there at Rose Bay there is whiting, bream, flathead. Not sure about little bay though (beach area).

I want to fish in various places and I think it's better to get something in the heavier side when I go somewhere else like the beach areas.

Reel size? I'm not too sure. But the rod does come in different types which are; Light, Med-heavy, and Ultralight.

I have noticed here in NSW the gear required to land a good eater is considerably lighter than from where I come from (FNQ).

1. Buy a good rod, if you intend to continue this as a leisurely pursuit. a good light rod with a reputable brand - e.g. Jarvis walker, shimano, penn, shakespeare etc. aim to spend around a hundred bucks and you will get a rod to last a lifetime, if you treat it well.

2. Reel. What reel you use will depend on what line you run. If you use mono like most of us traditional types, you will need a deeper spool on your spinner reel (if you want a spinner, but they are the most common reel these days).

I've heard some mixed reviews about Jarvis walker, but have heard good things about shimano and others :)

Any recommendation on the Rod + Reel? Preferrably a combo pack so I don't need to fuss around.

Actually this is controversial, but a right handed fisho should actually wind with the left hand, this leaves the right hand free to fight the fish... think about it, you dont need strength to wind a handle you need the muscle to fight the fish. it also means you can cast without switching hands over on the rod.

Hi mate, the reel handle side is switchable on spin reels, just undo it and swap around, so no need to worry bout that. I'm pretty much ambidextrous but prefer holding the rod in my right for lure fishing. Its really all about preference and whatever feels the most comfortable / gives you the most confidence theres no real gospel and final word on how you should do it.

Cheers

Witha

Sent from my GT-I9100T using Tapatalk

I just saw a sale on which consist of:

- Shimano Sonic Pro Graphite Rod

- Sienna spin reel (2500 or 4000) I think 2500 is better for me right?

What do you guys think?

This is the perfect rod for you at your entry level. Match it with the 2500 sienna and spool it with 8lb sea line mono. At this stage I'm not suggesting braid as that will open a whole new can of worms.

This outfit will be good enough to target most of the bread and butter species and is within your price range!

Cheers scratchie!!!

I picked up that combo a while back, like the rod and I have a couple of siennas which are great value for money. The rods are good entry level kit, I'd go the 2-4 or lighter I've got the 3-5 for heavy lures and it is a bit of a broomstick

I picked up that combo a while back, like the rod and I have a couple of siennas which are great value for money. The rods are good entry level kit, I'd go the 2-4 or lighter I've got the 3-5 for heavy lures and it is a bit of a broomstick

Does it come with lines? If not, what line is recommended?

I think 3-5 is better for me, just to be on the safe side. I heard that 2-4kg may be too weak but I'm willing to sacrifice for a broomstick feel. I might go to the beach to do some fishing too, and a 3-5 rod might cater better for this :banana:

Edited by LearningFisher112

Does it come with lines? If not, what line is recommended?

I think 3-5 is better for me, just to be on the safe side. I heard that 2-4kg may be too weak but I'm willing to sacrifice for a broomstick feel. I might go to the beach to do some fishing too, and a 3-5 rod might cater better for this :banana:

2-4 is too weak for almost nothing you will catch landbased (unless u go land based game fishing or late night beach fishing maybe)

I've caught plenty of kingies up to 60cm on my 1-3kg spin rod without ever feeling like it would snap and u still have control of the fish, just dont set your drag too tight. You will get a lot more fun out of a lighter rod and miss less bites.

I agree the 2500 reel sound good and as per scratchie's suggestion, go with 8-10lb mono, don't try braid just yet. Mono you can tie right down to the hook and not complicate things with flurocarbon leader just yet too

For estuary fishing Typical bread and butter species 1-3 and 2-4s are the ticket mate, people land jews and kings on this kind of kit all the time, i landed a 70cm flatty 2 days ago on my 1-3 with 6lb line and no worries

This is the perfect rod for you at your entry level. Match it with the 2500 sienna and spool it with 8lb sea line mono. At this stage I'm not suggesting braid as that will open a whole new can of worms.

This outfit will be good enough to target most of the bread and butter species and is within your price range!

Cheers scratchie!!!

The rod holds 2-4kg, but a 8lb mono line holds 3.6kg

Wouldn't to be better to get 9lb? or 10lb?

Some people like them some don't, snap swivels are a taste usage.

I use them for the kids aka adult friends who do not know how to fish. I pre rig a bunch of rigs with smaller line than the main so when they snag and snap the swivel usually remains in tack so I can just swap the busted rig with a new one hassle free. Also makes switching lures (the cheap ones for the "kids") a breeze and they usually do it themselves.

Sent from my C6903 using Tapatalk