Pittwater Squid - any Kingfish?

Sven Graham

On Sunday I was doing a drift from middle of Pittwater between Palm Beach and west head and as we approached Second Head started having squid take the bait.

Luckily I had a couple of jigs handy and managed to get amongst them, very easy to catch and had it not been for a cranky child would easily have got enough for a meal. (Didn't have my live bait bucket with me)

Anyway just wondering if I were to get more are there any kingies around Pittwater and where

Cheers

Are frozen squid any good as bait for kingies

Edited by Sven Graham

I've been out a few weekends in Pittwater - no kings and not for lack of trying. I've been sitting over schools of yellow-tail/slimies with livies and squid strips, but no luck. I did have a cormorant take a livie that was down with the school, about 6m down in 12m deep water. I was not happy when the zzzz on my reel turned out to be a bird with my bait in its beak.

Maybe moving around is required to find'em.

I did have a cormorant take a livie that was down with the school, about 6m down in 12m deep water. I was not happy when the zzzz on my reel turned out to be a bird with my bait in its beak.

LOL I've had that happen before, very frustrating stuff

My brother and i got stuck into the kings yesterday, caught 4 squid at palm beach and then used the poor mans downrigger technique and trolled them through the moorings, must of caught 10 between us biggest going 63, had a double hook up at one stage, one snapped the 50pound leader and the other bent my treble hook straight and got off, so there are some big fish amongst them.

My brother and i got stuck into the kings yesterday, caught 4 squid at palm beach and then used the poor mans downrigger technique and trolled them through the moorings, must of caught 10 between us biggest going 63, had a double hook up at one stage, one snapped the 50pound leader and the other bent my treble hook straight and got off, so there are some big fish amongst them.

What exactly is the poor mans down rigger technique?

I reckon frozen squid is crap for king, not hopeless but crap. 80% less chance to get a fish on the chew IMO, frozen squids will only get smashed when the fishes are really on fire.

Vacuum seal helps to keep a squid in the freezer but after more than 3 days I'd say it's over, which makes the operation pretty useless because a squid kept in a ziplock bag in the fridge works a treat for 4/5 days (even though time doesn't make it any better of course).

I'm not talking anything scientific there, it's is only the result of my observations...

What I'm saying is only valid for kingy, and I wouldn't argue the same point for some other species of fish that don't give a oooo about frozen, non-frozen, white, off white, yellow, pink, brown.... lol (24 months in the freezer) :) :) sundried or cooked with garlic and parsley ...