Ettalong/Umina yabbies

fat_souvlaki

Hey John,

I get all my nippers from Ettalong, If you park in Mareela Ave you can step right onto the sand flats and start pumping.

I've found that the only time I can get nippers there is just after high tide, maybe an hour or less after. As the sand flats are really high the water drains away pretty quick. Once the tide is really low they are next to impossible to find.

Last weekend I was there on Saturday 3+ hours after low tide and got 0. The weekend before that I was there just after high tide and managed to get two or three large males every second pump so I had heaps.

When you first get onto the sand flats you can find lots of worms in the sand where the water begins. I haven't found a trick on catching them without them breaking. Further out the back & to the right is where I found the biggest nippers. Also plenty of massive solider grabs too.

Just remember to throw back the small ones ^_^

Here is a photo of a standard haul just after a high tide.

http://imgur.com/YZ1HZlb

Cheers

No problem.

Ummm I kept them overnight and didn't change their water + the aerator died during the night so they were barely alive when I used them. I took them too davistown. Managed plenty of small snappper, flathead & a sting ray. No keepers.

Always have success with nippers, It's just the small ones smash them as well.

No problem.

Ummm I kept them overnight and didn't change their water + the aerator died during the night so they were barely alive when I used them. I took them too davistown. Managed plenty of small snappper, flathead & a sting ray. No keepers.

Always have success with nippers, It's just the small ones smash them as well.

Hey belligero is davistown wharf any good for whiting?

Hey belligero is davistown wharf any good for whiting?

Hey spooled,

I'm sure there are whiting there however we got smashed by baby snapper and everything else. The only other time I went to that wharf all we could catch was bloody sea weed!

If I was going to chase whiting I would probably avoid most of the wharfs and find somewhere sandy. Very good chance whiting can be found at the address I mentioned in my first reply as it's very sandy and drops off. Davistown wharf gets too busy with the boats and other people fishing though I have been told it does produce good catches

I hope this helps!

If you have a boat the gap between the two islands just upstream from lions park at woy woy have heaps of them at low tide. Even I can get them! Google maps has the area marked as st Hubert's island. It is west of the st Hubert's property development.

Garry, do you mean the gap between the islands in Woy Woy channel?

As for fishing Davistown wharves, the Pine Ave and Central wharves get one heck of a current running past them but there are good spots up and down the waterside reserve, just choose your time carefully. You can also try the Lintern Road or Amy Street wharves and the Humphries Rd wharf on the other side at Kincumber (near the old monestary).

Hmmm. It's hard for me to explain not being a local. If you put your boat in at lions park, head out of the creek and turn right (head towards the rip bridge) the islands are just around the corner on the left. Need a boat to get to them. Hope that makes sence.