Reef Magic Report - big black marlin

After a while off the water due to bad weather we finally got out today in good early morning conditions which deteriorated to 15-20 in the early afternoon. We found some great 23.5 deg water & worked it for an hour when the shotty got smashed & the little black Bart found its spot & we soon had 600m of line out on the Tiagra 50. We took off after what looked like from a distance 120-150 kg blue. Gavin who booked the charter was on the rod and after an hour we had a big black marlin jump 20m behind the boat that we soon put at well over 150kg. For a first time marlin angler Gavin did an amazing job but after an astonishing 4 hours under huge drag pressure passed the rod to one of his mates & after a 20 minute battle & a good tumble on the deck some how the fish was still there. Next fingers were being pointed unfortunately at me & i was voted to try & catch the beast. After 30 minutes I had the fish up & managed to grab the leader while one of the boys tagged the big girl. We quickly got her detached & put the release rope around the bill & took some measurements. She went 2.7 short measurement & which off the charts should weigh around the 200kg mark. A massive black marlin for Sydney waters & the biggest for us ever caught in NSW waters. I'm sure Gavin will be sore tomorrow but should be proud of his effort. Will post some photos when I get some from the boys on board. Good luck to those fishing the Botany comp we will be out Sunday.

Cheers

Damo

Edited by Reef Magic Charters

Hey Magnus.. yeah bad weather since our last kingy trip & misses mum passed away in England so had to spend some time over there & just got back yesterday. We are quite busy between now & the end of the month catching up on cancelled charters & then we head to Port Stephens at the end of the month for 3 months chartering up there.

Cheers

Damo

Edited by Reef Magic Charters

Hey Stewy.. no worries it would be great to see you both on board. I'm going to post up some dates on Monday to hopefully get a few groups of fishraiders together for a fish in Port. Charters are starting to fill quickly especially the weekends & the fishing further north is hotting up so we are confident of a good season in Port this year.

Cheers

Damo

Looks like Donna wants to catch some more beakies Mikey :sun: I will be in touch to see if we can get a trip going for the bride(as Mikey calls Donna)

Very nice fish indeedy.

Regards Stewy

Hey mate.. We were out again today of Sydney and got another big fish(I will put another report up) but heard on the radio quite a few fish being tagged on the .

Cheers

Damo

hi Damo I will be at port this weekend insearch of some beakies have you heard any reports of where they are getting them. would appreciate info