Hill 60, no bonito but a fat squid.

LungFai

Conditions were good, the wife and child had dinner plans so I had the evening free for quick spin session.

Down to hill 60 I went hoping that the bonito had finally come in. No luck. 7 o'clock rolls around with nothing taking the lures so I switch over to my 20 year old faithful yo-Zuri squid to catch me a feed. 30 mins go by suddenly the line goes taunt, I'm on I thought but to my dismay the fight was not the usual jet propulsion you get with a squid. The lure comes to the surface with a slimey green beast in tow. A few head shakes and the 50cm mackerel shoots back into the deep.

Next thing you know more of the pest show up so I move over to the squid grounds to the left which had become vacant as people moved to play with the mackerels. One cast, two cast, and all I get were knocks by the slimeys. Almost ready to throw in the towel I cast 1 more time and let the jig sit on the bottom as I watch the frenzy of yellow tails and mackerels, with two quick jerks of the rod to get the prawn going I slowly retrieve the lure and bam the drag kicks in and the rod bends two minutes later up came dinner. :)

post-17750-13900379469016_thumb.jpg

Sitting pretty next to my size 8 boots.

Sent from my C6903 using Tapatalk

Nice Squid, congrats.

I came down to Shellharbour to visit the parents and thought may as well try for Bonito while I am down. Went at 5.30am to the breakwall at Port Kembla and then Bass Point a little later and both spots produced zero Bonito, or any other pelagics as a matter of fact for me and everyone around me.

Yeah squid are that colour when they are alive, well they have a few shades of colour as they adapt to the environment, they go ghostly white when they die.

Squid was lightly seasoned then quickly tossed around in the wok to seal the flavour and devoured before the steam was about to dissipate in the air :)

Saw your post regarding squid jigs, squidin depends on the area, my spots are usually evening catches so a lure that glows makes a better attractant. Other places get squid in the early mornings and bright coloured lures are used.

Squidin becomes expensive when you get into it :)

Sent from my C6903 using Tapatalk