I thought fishing was cheap?

Prawns

Alright prawns! You are obviously really keen to get your fishing career kicked off! And since I know the bay pretty well, I'll take you on a tour! You pay for the fuel and a 4 pack of devils cut Jim beam! And I'll show more places than you can fish in a lifetime! Pm me your number and I'll organise a tour with you!

Cheers scratchie!!!

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Scratchie, on 20 Jan 2014 - 09:49 AM, said:

Alright prawns! You are obviously really keen to get your fishing career kicked off! And since I know the bay pretty well, I'll take you on a tour! You pay for the fuel and a 4 pack of devils cut Jim beam! And I'll show more places than you can fish in a lifetime! Pm me your number and I'll organise a tour with you!

Cheers scratchie!!!

Mate that offer is really *really* appreciated :)

I know how much fisherman guard their secret hotspots and that is a very generous offer mate for sure!

At the moment though truth be told, Ive spent nearly every dollar I have on getting some fishing gear together :( I had a bike accident a few years back which meant the whole business I worked for closed up shop as I couldnt do the labour anymore - So Ive been kind of a "at home dad" with no income at all since (I never even applied for any kind of centerlink so it is actually literally a zero income)

I was stupid and never had the 6months of physio done as I was trying to keep the business open, and the doctors were stupid not noticing how bad my shoulder was until 6months later on a repeat xray scan (apparently I should of had surgery and wiring/rods installed at the time it happened, got told i now have to "deal with it")

Can I take a raincheck? It might take me a while to save the money is all (2kids and wifes award rate income only) - but Im definatly keen as mustard to meet you and get shown how to do things properly thats for sure! I will PM you my number mate anyway so you have it for the future at some stage...How much would I need for fuel costs mate just so I can start planning ahead a bit if thats ok? :)

The offer has blown me away though mate, everybody on here is soooo nice!

edit> That photo of Tilligerry creek was taken from a houseboat just near bulls island LungFai - Its the "best" photo I have of that creek hahahahha, looks prettier than usual hey lols (no editing though) - editx2> looking closer - you got me - its actually looking down from the marina towards the creek entrance - doh! photo was from a few years back, I will see if I got one of the actual creek and add it here - Nicely picked up mate!

You can never find a particular photo when you want it :D I did find this one though, my dads old boat which used to be moored in Tilligerry Creek just near bulls island - not a great shot though and definatly not as pretty as the first :D

th_2003Beyond20002_zps139357ab.jpg

If I find a better one showing the creek I will replace that one

Edited by Prawns

Mate that offer is really *really* appreciated :)

I know how much fisherman guard their secret hotspots and that is a very generous offer mate for sure!

At the moment though truth be told, Ive spent nearly every dollar I have on getting some fishing gear together :( I had a bike accident a few years back which meant the whole business I worked for closed up shop as I couldnt do the labour anymore - So Ive been kind of a "at home dad" with no income at all since (I never even applied for any kind of centerlink so it is actually literally a zero income)

I was stupid and never had the 6months of physio done as I was trying to keep the business open, and the doctors were stupid not noticing how bad my shoulder was until 6months later on a repeat xray scan (apparently I should of had surgery and wiring/rods installed at the time it happened, got told i now have to "deal with it")

Can I take a raincheck? It might take me a while to save the money is all (2kids and wifes award rate income only) - but Im definatly keen as mustard to meet you and get shown how to do things properly thats for sure! I will PM you my number mate anyway so you have it for the future at some stage...How much would I need for fuel costs mate just so I can start planning ahead a bit if thats ok? :)

The offer has blown me away though mate, everybody on here is soooo nice!

edit> That photo of Tilligerry creek was taken from a houseboat just near bulls island LungFai - Its the "best" photo I have of that creek hahahahha, looks prettier than usual hey lols (no editing though) - editx2> looking closer - you got me - its actually looking down from the marina towards the creek entrance - doh! photo was from a few years back, I will see if I got one of the actual creek and add it here - Nicely picked up mate!

You can never find a particular photo when you want it :D I did find this one though, my dads old boat which used to be moored in Tilligerry Creek just near bulls island - not a great shot though and definatly not as pretty as the first :D

th_2003Beyond20002_zps139357ab.jpg

If I find a better one showing the creek I will replace that one

Mate, I'm only joking about fuel and JB! I go out all the time anyway and sometimes need an excuse to get out! Next time, your the excuse! Lol

I'll be in contact shortly!

Cheers scratchie!!!

Mate, I'm only joking about fuel and JB! I go out all the time anyway and sometimes need an excuse to get out! Next time, your the excuse! Lol

I'll be in contact shortly!

Cheers scratchie!!!

Im deadset happy to be your excuse! hahahahhaha

I might even be able to bring a beer or two, and some good company for you I hope. You can keep all the fish even I dont mind! Im stoked to just get out there with a chance of landing somthing (my luck from tanilba shoreline has been terrible, I had half a dozen whiting chase my lure back to me on every single cast early this morning .....but you reckon I could land one of those? no way hahhahaha)

Edited by Prawns

Im deadset happy to be your excuse! hahahahhaha

I might even be able to bring a beer or two, and some good company for you I hope. You can keep all the fish even I dont mind! Im stoked to just get out there with a chance of landing somthing (my luck from tanilba shoreline has been terrible, I had half a dozen whiting chase my lure back to me on every single cast early this morning .....but you reckon I could land one of those? no way hahhahaha)

Switch up your retrieval if you see them chasing but not taking, slow retrieve, stop start retrieve, flick retrieve etc.

What do you get when you combine Scratchie and Prawns on a fishing trip?

Pelican Itch? LOL

Switch up your retrieval if you see them chasing but not taking, slow retrieve, stop start retrieve, flick retrieve etc.

What do you get when you combine Scratchie and Prawns on a fishing trip?

Pelican Itch? LOL

As long as it isnt crabs Im ok with that :D

Thanks for the advice mate - Ive been doing a slow steady constant retrieve and they seem to love following but they just dont seem to commit (they were all undersized but they still count as a "caught fish" I guess hahahhahaha) They are pretty fearless though coming to within 1 metre of me before getting spooked.

The water was so clear and flat this morning it was great seeing how my lures all worked even if I didnt catch anything again I guess :)

As long as it isnt crabs Im ok with that :D

Thanks for the advice mate - Ive been doing a slow steady constant retrieve and they seem to love following but they just dont seem to commit (they were all undersized but they still count as a "caught fish" I guess hahahhahaha) They are pretty fearless though coming to within 1 metre of me before getting spooked.

The water was so clear and flat this morning it was great seeing how my lures all worked even if I didnt catch anything again I guess :)

Yeah the little ones have no sense of personal space!! When i am prawning they have the audacity to slap my rear end to get a feed of the prawns that get past me :D Prawning....another fishing activity that you might get yourself into as well as crabbing......can you see the dollars adding up? :P

I'd say their bag limit! Watch this space lungfai!

I'm expecting Prawns to post a report with a title "20 fish in 20 minutes" :P

Id love to post a report like that hahahhahaha (the 20fish in 20minutes thing)

I could of had 20 fish in 10minutes this morning if I had a net lols - but they all would of had to of gone back being undersized

I actually have already ordered a crab trap! hahahhahah. Well its listed as a "crab/minnow" trap one of those rectangle ones your only allowed one of. Top quality from china the ad says muahahahhahahaha

Guest Aussie007

Id love to post a report like that hahahhahaha (the 20fish in 20minutes thing)

I could of had 20 fish in 10minutes this morning if I had a net lols - but they all would of had to of gone back being undersized

I actually have already ordered a crab trap! hahahhahah. Well its listed as a "crab/minnow" trap one of those rectangle ones your only allowed one of. Top quality from china the ad says muahahahhahahaha

there good for catching poddy mullet around wharfs the odd prawn will find its way into the trap as well

there good for catching poddy mullet around wharfs the odd prawn will find its way into the trap as well

Awesome mate - I had bought it specifically for bait fish but saw it mentioned crabs as well :)

Worked out good, and it seems to flat pack as well (probably only the first time its used lols)

Guest Aussie007

Awesome mate - I had bought it specifically for bait fish but saw it mentioned crabs as well :)

Worked out good, and it seems to flat pack as well (probably only the first time its used lols)

u may fit a crab in there the size of a 20c piece the hole is only around 40mm wide on each end if its the trap im thinking of

Hahahha yeah your probably right :D - but hopefully it works ok as a bait trap (I dont really eat crab but I need good bait)

After watching "River Monsters" tonight and finding out that theres still fish out there that have never been really seen by man before! I made a decision

Im going to catch a 30pound whiting tomorrow. I rigged up my bigger baitcaster onto my heaviest rod - but Im really not sure which side of the metal rod the line is supposed to go on?

th_20140120_212847_zps770bff8c.jpg

Im hoping you guys can help - the other baitcaster was easy as it had a line guide - this one doesnt and after half a hour googling I still cant find a photo of one rigged up which also doesnt have a line guide. Hoping I got it correct?

Oh and will a San Diego Jammer knot be ok? I put my biggest ball sinker I have onto the line (a size8 ball sinker) The plan is, if I cant hook the 30pound whiting I will just knock it into kingdom come with the ball sinker and hopefully it floats to the top so I can swim out and get it

Wish me luck :)

Guest Aussie007

Hahahha yeah your probably right :D - but hopefully it works ok as a bait trap (I dont really eat crab but I need good bait)

After watching "River Monsters" tonight and finding out that theres still fish out there that have never been really seen by man before! I made a decision

Im going to catch a 30pound whiting tomorrow. I rigged up my bigger baitcaster onto my heaviest rod - but Im really not sure which side of the metal rod the line is supposed to go on?

Im hoping you guys can help - the other baitcaster was easy as it had a line guide - this one doesnt and after half a hour googling I still cant find a photo of one rigged up which also doesnt have a line guide. Hoping I got it correct?

Oh and will a San Diego Jammer knot be ok? I put my biggest ball sinker I have onto the line (a size8 ball sinker) The plan is, if I cant hook the 30pound whiting I will just knock it into kingdom come with the ball sinker and hopefully it floats to the top so I can swim out and get it

thats the trap, i think there are size limits on crabs so u better check

thats the trap, i think there are size limits on crabs so u better check

I bought a expensive high quality trap, and Im pretty sure it had the "undersized sorting feature" included as standard and actually built in.

I think the "undersized sorting feature" works like this....If theres a crab in the trap, its undersized and needs releasing, but I wont know for sure until the trap arrives, and I get a chance to read through the volumous instruction manual it will surely also include.

If the "undersized sorting feature" doesnt work I will send it back under Aussie consumer law and get paypal to refund me or get a refund I guess

I paid good money for this thing, hmmm $2 postage from china I guess, so thats a 78cent trap right there. Reckon it might be cheaper just for me to buy a dozen spare ones than return postage would cost though perhaps ;):D hahahahahhaha

Click below me for a screenshot, kind of hard to see

post-33076-0-87045700-1390217857_thumb.jpg

As you can see I spared no expense :D I spent a full 20cents more than the cheapest one on ebay! so Im sure it will be fine. I just noticed it even comes "pre-bent" in the photo! Crikey they thought of everything, that saves me having to do it myself as well :D

Edited by Prawns

• 2 weeks later...

Lol it's still cheaper than most other addictions !

Depends if you take a boat into account, it's up there, but generally, yes it is cheaper, a 3-4 half decent outfits to suit different scenarios, tackle ie lures, hooks, keeper nets etc you can do for easy under $800.

Harry

If it's to good to be true, it usually is...

did you get this sorted ???

if not PM lofty86 he has the same reel

bretto

Hey prawns, the double uni and albright knots are great knots amd most of the time you won't need anything more until you start fishing for marlin and tuna. There are times though when one is preffered to be used over another.

The double uni is best used when the diameter of both the mainline and leader are similar.

The albright is best used when the diameter of the leader is considerably thicker than the main line. If used with similar diameter lines it can slip and fail way before the breaking strain of the line.

As for the 2 meter keader length for estuary fishing... it is a pretty good rule of thumb to have at least a rod length of leader in any type of fishing whether estuary, ocean or freshwater. As one of the gents suggested earlier it is harder for the fish to see than braid and it gives you a good shock absorber if something big comes along and snavels whatever you are offering.

Happy travels and definitely hit up scratchy for a ride. He knows his shiz.

Luc.

It will only get worse, just wait to when you sit and starting to check out what else you can get .Read Fishing Reports, Watch DVD's. Make Rig's up, what you Do ! tell the Mrs that you got a bargain show her the Most expensive Fishing Tackle then compare with you got she won't get to upset or get her some Flower's soften the Blow , Good Luck

Cheers Oziodin :fishing1:

Thanks for the advice guys, especially on the knots as they are still like black magic to me, I know a few but I dont know when they should or shouldnt be used so that advice on uni VS albright is gold! :)

I ended up finding the original owner of the reel and apparently I rigged it correctly :)

All my braid and mono has finally arrived from ebay so now nearly all my reels are sporting braid (the okuma overhead now has 400metres of 40lb mono on it now though for future "light duty" trolling from a mates boat)

I even managed to knock up a rod holder out of some old bed slats :)

th_20140210_055208_TanilbaAve_zpsa27b469 th_20140210_055202_TanilbaAve_zpsff29115

Edited by Prawns