My first rod service

Prawns

Im really happy with my first rod and reel service I tried tonight :)

Ive never pulled a reel down before so thought I would have a go at my daiwa baitcaster. It seems suprisingly easy and I had everything ship shape and greased in about 30minutes I guess.

Im also making great progress involved in the awesome "respool" process so the line on the reel matched up with the line guide again (they were opposite each other when i rebuilt it)

The respool process seems a bit slower than the regreaseing process though to be honest. Im 45minutes in and reckon theres still a good half hour left before I can have a sit down and a coffee :)

th_20140121_210134_TanilbaAve_zpseb15de7

I also got a rod tip for $2 and fixed my shimano rod - casts way better than the one I had been using :)

Edited by Prawns

Good on you Prawns,

You'll be conducting master classes on servicing rods and reels before too long. When you say that the line and guide were opposite each other, do you mean that the reel was spooled so that the line came to the guide from the bottom of the spool instead of the top? In other words, it was spooled in the wrong direction?

Nah the line coming off the actual reel spool was on the left side, while the line guide itself was on the right side, for better casting I thought i should make it so both the line guide and the line from the reel spool were laid together inline as they were working in opposite directions and line had a bad angle on the line guide (lol sorry probably just confused you more)

Probably wasnt the best idea just to start despooling line onto my shed floor :D

I spent another hour trying to untangle the resulting mess, and have just given up and spooled on some mono till I can order some more braid I suppose - doh!

Im pretty happy Im starting to learn the basics about maintanance though :)

Edited by Prawns

There's a sence of satisfaction doing something yourself that would've cost money to get some one else to do it.

Make sure not to put to much grease on.

Harry

If it's to good to be true, it usually is...

Hmmm, hopefully I didnt put too much on, there may be a issue there I guess I will see

hey there,

There are a few easier options to sort out your levelwind issue.

Some baitcasters you can screw the base off the levelwind to disengage the pawl so you can move it into whatever position you want.

You could have also taped the end of the line to the spool and continued to crank the handle until the levelwind ended up on the same side the line end was and then feed your line through.

Both options would not have caused a mess and burnt so much time, and you would also have your braid.

lessons learned for next time but good on you for giving it a crack.

Daniel

I will remember that advice for next time Daniel, I see the screw you mention at the base of the levelwind on mine also and wondered what that screw did! Thanks alot mate :)

I managed to save some of the braid, probably around 50metres worth I guess. Thinking about it though 50metres of braid is pretty useless? I spooled it onto a spare handreel and kept it just incase but I think I will chuck it perhaps or maybe use it to practice knots on (I have a spool of cheap mono for that also)

Cant believe I despooled onto the shed floor, how dumb a idea was that :D

Edited by Prawns

Don't worry, first time I pulled apart a baitcaster i did the exact same thing, lucky for me i wound it off onto a hand spool so didn't end up with a mess.

To be honest I'd rather make those kind of mistakes so you remember what not to do for next time. These days I'm too confident pulling apart reels and end up making a simple mistakes. If i check my vacuum im sure it will have a lifetime supply of c clips in it.

Ahhh good point mate. Ive actually hit a knot which works great on rope that I learned working on a pearl farm, it seems to translate to braid ok but slips on mono I found out (a bowline)

Your advice makes good sense, Thanks mate! :)

• 3 weeks later...

On my old Daiwa 6HM Millionaire that I use for snapper I took the level wind guide off as it was a pain if you didn't have the line coming straight off the spool. It was easy just to guide it on your with your fingers and after a while it was very natural. The new Calcutta 400s that I bought had no level wind for that very reason. Just easier in the long run and less parts as well.

On my old Daiwa 6HM Millionaire that I use for snapper I took the level wind guide off as it was a pain if you didn't have the line coming straight off the spool. It was easy just to guide it on your with your fingers and after a while it was very natural. The new Calcutta 400s that I bought had no level wind for that very reason. Just easier in the long run and less parts as well.

Ahh I hadnt considered doing that - I might get some more practice in with baitcasters first, I have since respooled that baitcaster with some 20lb braid and its all nicely lined up this time :D