Broken Bay to Whale Beach - Bonito and Tailor

Berleyguts

Took my new boat (Stacer 449 Outlaw side console) on Friday on her maiden voyage. Had my 21 y.o. son and his friend as passengers (couldn't call them crew, lol!). A bit late getting away from the ramp at Parsley Bay because they took off after a goat!

Picked up a dozen or so small yakkas at West Head. The Minn Kota iPilot anchor lock sure beats dropping a pick and retrieving it.

Trolled from Barrenjoey down to Whale Beach. First strike went to my son's friend and he bagged his first bonito about 50cm.

Spotted a lot of mutton birds working about a mile out, so trolled over and enjoyed watching a huge pod of dolphins smashing into baitfish (I assume slimies). The boys thought that was pretty cool.

Trolled back to Lion Island and my son bagged a small bonny out the front. On the next pass I got a nice tailor (47cm). On the next strike my son grabbed the rod and struggled to fight the fish. I think it may have been a small kingy but he spat the lure not too far from the boat.

Spotted 3 fairy penguins near the island. Had a great day out and I LOVE the new boat!!! :)

Hope to get out again, on my own, on Tuesday!

All fish were taken on a white minnow about 5 inches long. I had no luck with live yakkas inside, so those I didn't use went back.

The bonito and tailor cooked up well on the barbie yesterday. :)

Cheers,

Baz

Congrats with your new Boat . Sound like you really enjoy your time on the water with your young bloke . Allways nice to spend qualitie time with Family & Friends and as bonus catch a fish or two ( good news the Bonnies has started to arrive ) your Report well written and describtion . Tight lines. Cheers. Oziodin

I'll take a pic of the boat when I put her in the water again tomorrow. :)

The Minn Kota is a 55lb thrust, 42in shaft I think. Didn't get a manual - the dealer is chasing it.

Oziodin - I did enjoy the day out with my son and his mate. It's the first time he has been fishing with me since he was about 10. He's just not into it! Got no sea legs and can't tie knots! lol But he was impressed that I remembered to put the bung in this time and put him onto some fish!

Baz

Edited by Berleyguts

Here's a pic of the tailor I caught on Friday.

Posted Image

Here's the boat:

Posted Image

Took it out again yesterday on my own. Couldn't get yakkas at West Head, so headed out for a troll. Picked up a bonito while heading out past Barrenjoey. Trolled down to Avalon, then out a mile or two. It was getting a little lumpy, so I headed back into Whale Beach and trolled back up to Barrenjoey and Lion Island. Picked up fish near Whale Beach rocks and Barrenjoey Headland, also Lion Island. Finished with 4 bonito, 1 tailor, 1 bream (while yakka fishing) and a frigate mackerel (kept for bait). Actually, I didn't finish with the bream - a pelican pinched it off the cleaning table!

Posted Image

All fish except the frigate and bream taken on the same white minnow. The frigate took a small Xmas tree. I had another hit on the Xmas tree but the line broke due to a knot I missed from line twist. I love that white minnow!

Cheers,

Baz

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Nice boat baz! And good to see you've had some success already. All you'll think about now is when you can take it out again! Well done :)

Cheers scratchie!!!

You're not wrong there, Scratchie! I'm hoping to head out again next Tuesday (my regular day off) if I can't persuade the missus to come out on Sunday. And I can't wait to take it up your way to Port Stephens (where I hope to move to in a few years!)... would love to head up to Broughton Island, weather permitting! Might see you out on the water there one day! :)

Cheers,

Baz

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If you move up here baz, there's every chance you'll see me out on the water! You'd love the move and there's a few fish to be caught up here too! Lol.

Cheers scratchie!!!

We plan to visit PS in May. Will do some fishing and look at a few houses. Also hope to squeeze in the odd weekend here and there. :)

We try to get to Port at least once or twice per year.

Cheers,

Baz