DOH ! Lost my keys

rockfisherman

Hi raiders

Got into work this morning just before 530am, unlocked the joint in my lucid state, thought I put the keys back on my belt clip until this afternoon, about 12 hours later when I was leaving work and reaching for my keys I realised they wernt there. Searched high and low for an hour and a half with no result. So the wife had to drive in and pick me up. There is the possibility they'll get handed in tomorow but I don't like my chances.

So I'm probably going to have to replace locks around the house which I can do myself, but the problem is I only had 1 car key. So where do I go from here?

Have any raiders had to get a key made up? How much is this going to cost ?

Harry

If it's to good to be true, it usually is...

Mate,

I would contact the maker of the car and see what they can do for you. If you can prove ownership of the car and the VIN they may be able to give you the code for the key to get one cut or provide an new key. There is a mobile vehicle locksmith in the inner west here in Sydney that can come onsite , open the car for you and cut you a new key. Very easy to find on google.

cheers

Bob

I had mine stole a few weeks back. It cost me $800 for a locksmith to do a 5 minute job. It's a Toyota kluger and Toyota quoted $2500. Then to claim it on insurance was a $650 excess, so I get robbed either way. The keys I had cut didn't come with a remote either. Sorry to be the bearer of bad news! I hope you find them!

Cheers scratchie!!!

You first need to get a key with a fob, can get these on the e Bay, then you need to get it cut and programmed, locksmith will do it for 200-450. To program the fob so it works with your car, instructions can be found on google or you tube, or locksmith can do it for you for you.

If you are lucky you have not reached the maximum number of fobs allowed for your car so all should be sweet.

Toyota quoted 2500 which is a total reset of the fob code and extra set of keys, it's the standard cost for stolen/lost keys as the missing key could turn up one day and used to whisk off your car.

If you are not concerned about some ruffian finding and miss using your key, tell Toyota that you only want a spare set made and they'll quote you somewhere under 1000.

Sent from my C6903 using Tapatalk

Edited by LungFai

Depends on the vehicle.I had a key to our Xtrail done by a guy at a booth in the local shopping centre for $99,about half what the locksmith quoted-Nissan wanted even more.Thank God I found my missing Prado spare keys after a year's absence,in the Xtrail.

Depends on the vehicle.I had a key to our Xtrail done by a guy at a booth in the local shopping centre for $99,about half what the locksmith quoted-Nissan wanted even more.Thank God I found my missing Prado spare keys after a year's absence,in the Xtrail.

That sounds about right to me, When my mate lost the key to his roadbike he went to one of them locksmith/ shoe repairer guys in narellan town centre, I sure it was only around $80 or so... I remember my mate wasn't whining about it too much....

Edited by Onemancrew

Depending on the car, the key reprogramming can be done by yourself. I did it for my Lexus IS200 replacement key. You then need a locksmith with laser cutting machine to cut your new key. Last time I brought it to a regular locksmith he cut through the key so I had to buy another one from ebay.

Hey mate,

The question I have is where did he find them?

Not sure what you do for work, but could be an interesting answer.

Cheers

Choicebro

I work in construction. The guy that found them was the head steel fixer, and he found them on a stillage of scaffold I jumped over 24 hours earlier.

It was all legit.

Harry

I bet after the answers you got here a sudden sigh of relief was quick to appear when he handed them to you. You should buy a lotto ticket hehehe.

Sigh of relief....yes

Buy a lotto ticket...yes

Did it win? No...

It's like I won $700 anyway, because that's what it would have cost to get new car keys and new locks for all the house doors.

Harry