Harbour beach fishing

Oztyke

Hi all, fairly new to fishing but here's my first report.

Went to Washaway Beach last Friday with kiwibrown, the aim was to stay past sunset to get the best chance of a big catch. Things started off pretty quiet the all of a sudden my line was off. Due to the fight it put up we assumed it was a decent salmon but it turned out to be a very good (or so I was told) bream, it measured just over 45cm, we were after some flathead to keep so it went back in the drink to live another day.

Within minutes Brown was on and he made quick work of bringing in a 50cm flathead, he was kept for the pan.

After a quiet hour or so we headed over to the rocks for a quick 20-30 minutes before the sun set, we picked up a couple of snapper and a ray. On the way back to the beach, for the highly anticipated prime time fishing, disaster struck, Brown slipped and his hand met glass, we quickly decided it was a hospital job so we packed up and headed to RNS. The good news is there was no serious damage and he'll be back with rod in hand soon. And yes, it was his right hand...

As we'd only been using 7' rods we decided to console ourselves on Saturday by purchasing a couple of 10' surf rods, so those fish better watch out when we return!

Cheers

Daryl

Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

Hi, it's about 30 minutes for me but you may be able to get closer. You go through some bush which is on a bit of a decline then you'll need to get down some rocks, as long as you're relatively agile and don't mind heights you should be fine. One word of warning, it is used as a nudist beach so maybe don't take the kids!

It makes you wonder sometimes why people would go to a spot like that and ruin it by littering (especially with glass). Not only is it irresponsible but it is downright dangerous as your friend found out the hard way. I hope whoever smashed the glass there finds it the hard way and learns from their reckless stupid mistake.

Other than that good on you guys... a 45cm bream is a darn good fish and a 50cm flatty makes for some great fillets. Excellent work.

P.S

Welcome to fishraider. I look forward to reading the next edition with the 10 footers.

Luc.

Edited by Trout Stalker

cheers stalker, pretty nasty cut but get the stitches out tomorrow, fishing again by next week. It seems a bit hit and miss there. We have had a couple of sessions for no catch.

Always hopeful - we just had pretty light spinning gear. 6"6 rods, 2500 reels with about 12lb line. We are keen to get these 10ft +rods but have been let down by one website we ordered from. Now its time to haggle....

Get a good 10ft rod with a reel for cheap bro, I got 2 Diawa ones for under $100, the line was more expensive than the rod and reel.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Nasty cut. I'm guessing a few hours at RNS, Local bulk billing medical centres put wounded and bleeding fishos (and anyone else in the same boat) thru as a priority. Carry your Medicare card and make the most of it while you still can.

cheers stalker, pretty nasty cut but get the stitches out tomorrow, fishing again by next week. It seems a bit hit and miss there. We have had a couple of sessions for no catch.

Always hopeful - we just had pretty light spinning gear. 6"6 rods, 2500 reels with about 12lb line. We are keen to get these 10ft +rods but have been let down by one website we ordered from. Now its time to haggle....

Rock fishing is like that sometimes mate. I know a few gun spots where some great fish come by but sometimes you won't see them for days.

Shame about the bogus site. Gotta be careful sometimes with those. It is why I always use paypal when buying things online just in case they don't arrive. At least you can get your money back (even though you would prefer the gear you paid for).

Glad the hand is healing well, I'm looking forward to your next exploits on the water.

spot on Ryder. The website is reputable but hadn't updated their listings so we tried to get two combos that were discontinued. Anyway all good now and should have the new stuff in a few days. Looking forward to it. Oztyke is mad for fishing now after just a few months........wonder if its because we always manage to squeeze a few beers into the backpack.

Guest hawkesbass

spot on Ryder. The website is reputable but hadn't updated their listings so we tried to get two combos that were discontinued. Anyway all good now and should have the new stuff in a few days. Looking forward to it. Oztyke is mad for fishing now after just a few months........wonder if its because we always manage to squeeze a few beers into the backpack.

Nice fish but im not the moral police but do not consider having beers of the rocks inside the harbour or on outside rock platforms alcohol and rockfishing is not a good mix

Great fish guys :thumbup:

That's a monster bream all right. Good on you for releasing it :thumbup:

Sorry to hear about the nasty cut. Hope it has healed up nicely. Those inconsiderate people smashing bottles like that just have no respect for anyone or anything.

Keep up the terrific work guys and good luck with your new gear.

Ian

Guest Aussie007

that bream is a trophy fish he or she would be a fair few years old 20+ i would guess

is that sand deposits on the rocks? from a close by beach? when your new rods arrive cast out and slowly reel in see if u can snag more flatties they love to chase :biggrinthumb:

thanks guys, i think oztyke is being conservative with his 45cm. It really was an absolute monster and i explained it might be a while before he beats that. Thought it was a decent salmon when first hooked. Beginners luck.

stitches due out tomorrow (17 days after initially saying 7). Dying to get back there before summer buggers off.