Blues Point Blackfish

macman

G'day fishy dudes,

Fished Blues Point for the first time today. What a top spot, it must be one of the most beautiful places to fish in Sydney ( for a city spot). Managed to snag 3 blackfish including 2 really solid fish. Also got bitten off by a couple of surgeon fish along the way.

It's not the easiest spot to fish, a fair bit of run and quite deep, ended up fishing a rod length (12 -13 foot) before I got a touch. Also a great place to take the family, I'm sure I'll be going back.

Matt

I forgot to add, part of my reason for the outing was to trial the new reel, an Okuma Aventa centrepin, and it came up trumps, will require a bit of looking after but a beautiful reel to use, casts like a dream, runs beautifully and is quite light.

post-21-1124865113_thumb.jpg

Edited by macman

Guest Jocool

Nice luderick Matt. Blues Point used to fish real well for Jews and big flatties. Is that still the case? I haven't been there for over 15 years! :1yikes:

Macman your post on darkys off Blues Point brought back many memories.

20 years ago I used to fish there with my dad for jewies every week.

There was an old aussie bloke that used to fish excluservly for black fish,

and when the jewies where quite I will go net his fish and talk about footy

and fishing when he was waiting for a downer.

The best spot at the point for B/F is after the park and the white railings

till you came to a concrete block just after the white rails.

behind the block there should be a set of stairs.

This spot creates an eddie, and to fish it good you need to berley with some

chopt up weed and wet sand to create balls to be able to throw out.

Start off by fishing 2 rod lengths and try to use weed rather than cabbage.

Cant wait to hear more reports on Darkys Of Blues Point. :1fishing1:

Hazza

Nice looking black fish, I don't recall many people fishing for them and posting a report.

Sounds as though you enjoyed the experience and the location.

Can I ask a few questions?

Are they a fish best chased in the winter months?

Do they eat well?

Any special treatment, eg bleed as soon as caught

Cheers

G'day Martin

Contrary to popular belief they can be chased year round. There is a winter run of fish in various parts of NSW, but its really a matter of numbers and skill required to catch them. They are often easier to catch when schooling and in bigger numbers. With the right skills they are a good year round target and fish well right through the day and right through Audust which is traditionally difficult for others species.

They are good to eat, provided they are bled after capture and filleted and skinned, the sooner you get them cold the better. If you follow these rules you get nice white fillets of tasty fish, leave them fr to long and they get a bit too strong, from the skin, and the gut lining etc.

They are a good fish to chase, they require good preparation in terms of gear, you get to use nice reels, they can be challenging, it can be relaxing and there is something special about seeing that float dip, stop dip again.

The fish yesterday were pulling the float down about 2cm, then holdinh it there while the float drifted about 15 metres before pulling it under properly for the strike, it makes for interesting fishing and tests your patience, and skills such as bait presentation, float presentation and rod/reelmanship make the difference between catching fish and going home empty handed.

Matt

G'day fishy dudes,

Fished Blues Point for the first time today. What a top spot, it must be one of the most beautiful places to fish in Sydney ( for a city spot). Managed to snag 3 blackfish including 2 really solid fish. Also got bitten off by a couple of surgeon fish along the way.

It's not the easiest spot to fish, a fair bit of run and quite deep, ended up fishing a rod length (12 -13 foot) before I got a touch. Also a great place to take the family, I'm sure I'll be going back.

Matt

I forgot to add, part of my reason for the outing was to trial the new reel, an Okuma Aventa centrepin, and it came up trumps, will require a bit of looking after but a beautiful reel to use, casts like a dream, runs beautifully and is quite light.

63573[/snapback]

Gday macman, Nice fish i used to fish that area many years ago with my ex father inlaw. Mate did you get the Aventa here in aus or did you get it o/s ? Ive been waiting for about six months for them to come into the country and was just about to buy from the states. What did you pay for it, i was told $300 here in oz but could get it for about $230 O/S. Send me a pm if you dont want to post $$$

cheers

Mick

G'day Fishlessmick,

I bought mine over EBAY on a buy now, with the exchange rate and delivery it was 195 bucks australian. Freetime can get them in but it takes months and costs more.

HARLEEROD is the Ebay store, it was a good transaction, no problems.

Matt

Great report Matty, good to see you got out for fish :1clap: Does this mean there could be a City Blackfish session on the horizon? Have only every chased them once with Chopper at Blackwattle/Rozelle :thumbup: Got to admit it was very relaxing but getting the hang of the Centrepins was tough, even after the education on them you gave me.

Cheers

Windy

G'day guy's,

I love a feed of blackies. If you can get to the container wall at botany bay down the end there are some thumper blackies to be had!

Just check these ones i got last weekend!

bigblackie.jpg

Take for example these two bruisers i got.

2blackies1shot.jpg

These fish were halfway up the container wall at about the No41 marker onthe wall at about 4-5 mteres depth, around 3-4 meters from the edge!

EDIT: Sorry mate. Edited out the parts that don't conform to site rules!

Edited by Jocool

top fish mac man i saw 1 of those reels the other day in a shop they look shit hot i love my luderick fishing have done for years i have avon royal whitch is busted at monet but i intend to score 1 of these okumas man they look good for the past 20 years i been chaseing blackfish most weekends mainly of the rocks until the bream bug got me i have come across a lot of top looking spots in the harbour which iam yet to try out .i think its time i pulled my finger out & tryed them .wouldnt mind a session some time cant beat a feed of blackfish & gibbo awesome blackfish i figure u didnt use a float to catch them :074: