When will they stop add breaks on telly

GreyNurse

Hi Raiders,

Been off the past week and probably for the next few weeks with a number of health issues. Never mind. I'm sure I'll recover, but it takes longer as you get older.

Anyway, the topic here isn't me, it's that necessary evil of free to air commercial TV. With the extra time on my hands, I'm often switching on the idiot box to find something to watch, and just about every time I open a commercial channel, they're running an advert.

Let me quantify that. The past two days, I've kept track of the number of times I've selected a commercial channel and found the actual show running. Would you believe that so far, after 15 times, I've come into the show just 3 times, the other twelve times being greeted by an advert. So what's that; 20% show to 80% ads.

It's become progressively worse over the years, despite the fact that, at one stage, I'm sure the commercial stations said that they would reduce the interruptions by introducing either ad blocks, or banner ads. It's no wonder people download shows illegally off the internet, or stream them, whether they pay or not.

I have the complete 9 seasons of Scrubs, which I keep returning to just because I can watch each episode ad free.

OK, I've had my bitch. Anyone else want to wade in?

Suppose they've gotta pay their way somehow, and when companies are willing to pay millions for a 30 second slot I'd be showing more ads than shows too if it were my company :P

But I think you'll find its 66% show and 33% ads on average, since most hour long shows actually have 40 mins of tv and 20 mins of ads.

To be honest I get very little time in front of the box and when I do I mostly get kids shows due to having a 10 year old girl and 2 year old boy. So therefore most of the time it is add free due to being on the abc channels. If I do feel like watching something it is generally a specific doco so I just watch them online. Free tv sucks anyway. Rarely do you find anything of interest.

So true, Trouty, but when yer desperate....... Anyhow, I've since noticed that the commercial stations stagger the ad breaks. Not intentionally, per se, but more likely to provide the least interruption to a story line in a show, whatever. In that event, there would be a small window where a show is running, and if, like me, you're a channel surfer, then I suppose you'd get similar results as I've been experiencing. That's my take, anyway.

Long Live Aunty!

• 2 weeks later...

I thought the UK was bad with ads but Australia takes the biscuit! 5 mins of show, 6 mins of ads - rinse repeat!

So much money in ads though!

I still reckon they should run ads in blocks. I noticed 2UE now does something similar with some of their programs. 5 minutes of news, 20 minutes of program, 5 minutes of ads, with a few mandatory station ID's thrown in. At least it makes commercial radio more listenable.