water pump replacement

GaryO

My 50hp outboard has been triggering the temp alarm if Im sitting on low revs for to long . Firstly I changed the thermostat which was well and truly shot so I thought this would have solved my prob but im still getting high temps at low rpm. So I will replace the water pump now, but im not sure if I will bother doing it myself or pay someone at this stage.

Can anyone provide me with an estimate cost of having this work done by a mechanic ?

Ps. 1996 Mariner 2stroke if that helps any.

Edited by GaryO

Wow! Not one person here has ever paid to have an impeller replaced :( . I know every job can be different but I was just after a ball park for a straight forward job without any additional work , surely that isnt a ridiculous question to ask .

Hi, without knowing what HP you are talking about hard to quote, but IF the gearbox comes off without fighting and you just need an impeller (not a complete water pump kit) most good dealers would charge about $200 to do that job. Of course it can be like "how long is a bit of string"

Cheers,

Huey.

Awesome Huey that's exactly what I was after , I fully appreciate no job is always straight forward particularly with an older motor... but as u have answered it was a bottom line and it could be upwards from that. I just needed that info to make a call which way to go as im pushed for time and the boat isn't in a place I can have full access with tools and heat etc if the job doesnt go to plan.

Thanks Mate

If it's just a change of impeller its not a difficult job but once I opened up my moor the seals on the drive shaft were gone so it was back to order more parts and the actual water pump was different from the schematic, bottom line is your only guessing without looking inside.

Well I would have needed to wait a week for the workshop to fit me in so I just did it myself. Not knowing when it had last been done I was really worried about seized bolts or worse still a seiezed drive shaft but luckily the last person to have done it did a proper job and all bolts and splines were greased and came undone easily. :)

Thanks for the advice and Hueys price was on the money as my local dealer estimated roughly the same .

Edited by GaryO

Guest Aussie007

Well I would have needed to wait a week for the workshop to fit me in so I just did it myself. Not knowing when it had last been done I was really worried about seized bolts or worse still a seiezed drive shaft but luckily the last person to have done it did a proper job and all bolts and splines were greased and came undone easily. :)

Thanks for the advice and Hueys price was on the money as my local dealer estimated roughly the same .

how was the old impeller?

It was pretty good really.. no cracks or tears and it hadn't gone all brittle nor gone real soft and certainly didnt look like giving up the ghost . The new one however did seem to show an improvement in water flow via the tell tail. My guess it was 4 years old at the least .

Edited by GaryO

Lol.. hope so.

By the way the ss base plate and pump housing was in perfect condition , its built like a brick outhouse so if I keep the maintenance up it should last a lifetime.

I did have a question I will ask here rather then open another thread, its in regard to a rubber hose leaving the leg with in my case is cut off about 3inches above the gearbox housing. Ill take a pic to post up.

Thanks Gaz