Sydney Harbour - Land Based - Squid Session

EGK24A

Hit the Harbour last night with my brother, nephew and a friend for some squidding action.

Got there around 12:00am and rigged up some yamashita squid jigs. Cast out and within seconds the squid were on. It was on fire last night. Ended up staying there until 4:30am and landed about 30 squid between all four of us.

Was a good session overall. We had no intention on using this squid as bait for kings/Jews, but I bet if we did we wouldn't have caught any T_T

Posted Image

Great Catch , in Ore as the Squid still is eluding me. if you don't mind me asking where about in the Harbour the were ?

Cheers Oziodin :fishing1:

They were caught very close to the harbour bridge. Less than 200m away on the west side. Hope this helps without giving exact locations away.

Not sure if this will help you but we were using the below.

* Yamashita OH Q Live - Size 1.8 and 2.5

* Berkley Powerbait - Size 2.0

Was also using a various amount of colors. Orange, Pink, Browns, Purples. Didn't seem like the we're picky on color this time round. Definitely we're biting hard on the berkleys since they are scented.

Good Luck !

They were caught very close to the harbour bridge. Less than 200m away on the west side. Hope this helps without giving exact locations away.

Ha - i was at that spot last week. dad and i were just wasting time so we threw some jigs out. managed half dozen lollypop squid in 30 min. left em biting.

were using el cheapo jigs, size 2.0 and 2.5 - both worked.

was fishing from right on dark (830 - 9pm)

Might be a stupid question however what weight size do you use on the squid jigs?

I took a few of mine out on the weekend (Cheapos) and they just wouldn't sink.

Mate if you're having trouble sinking them try rigging paternoster style. Keep the sinker on the bottom, and the jig on a short trace say 30cm above.

I've been landing about 15 squid per trip at the minute, I use a 1.8 size jig so def rely on the sinker to find the bottom.

Mate if you're having trouble sinking them try rigging paternoster style. Keep the sinker on the bottom, and the jig on a short trace say 30cm above.

I've been landing about 15 squid per trip at the minute, I use a 1.8 size jig so def rely on the sinker to find the bottom.

Cheers I'll have to give that a go.

We are finding heaps of squid will follow the bait to the boat...and will even hang around the boat waiting for the bait to be dropped back in. But they don't seem to keep on the lure. Probably because of the sinking issue.

Will give this a go & maybe a bit of s-factor on the lure too.