using a vhf radio

Flickn Mad

I have just bought a VHF radio to replace my 27 meg which just failed.

The guys I got it from weren't much help.

The unit I got is a lawrance link 5.

I am wondering what you guys think of them and who to log in with fishing around Sydney heads and up and down the coast botany to broken bay.

Yeah mate, as an after thought I asked the guys selling the radio if my old aerial would work, oh no they replied u need a new aerial aswell.

Only after getting home and doing some research I find you are supposed to be licenced to use it also. is this one of those rules I am expected to ignore as I know several guys using vhf with no certs.

Log on with Sydney Marine Rescue, they are on 24/7 and will comfortably cover the areas you are fishing.

Yes you are supposed to be licensed, you won't be asked for it as it is safer that you have the radio on board. That being said, it is worth doing the course and being licensed. Marine Rescue run them, keep your eyes on the local papers, or check their websites.

I think this site was organising one as well.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

I think with the VHF radio there is a code you get when you get a Lic. you can enter your Details in( you Lic number) so when you activate the Emergency (red button )all you details will go to marine rescue and your details will come up so they can see who is in need for help and Location ( I not sure , so pls get it confirmed ,if its right)

Cheers Oziodin

ps: I apologise if i'm incorrect