70hp Yamaha 4 stroke

Don_

Hi all,

My mate is looking to re-power and old 4.8m fibreglass with a 70hp 4 stroke. He's pretty set on the Yamaha. Does anyone have any opinions on these, pros & cons of this motor..? Any thoughts at all really..

Thanks a lot in advance!

Don,

I put a 70 4 stroke on my Haines 445F last year. Good motor but I must say I'm disappointed with the performance especially compared to the previous motor, a 60 hp yammer 4 stroke.

I had expected both a top end and accelleration/ torque increase and have failed to realise either.

I have tried 6 stainless props to no avail.

If I hadn't had the 60 I would be over the moon with the 70 so your friend will probably be pleased with the change.

My boat is very heavy (1200kgs on the trailer) so his may be lighter and go better. Most guys putting the same motor on tiniest are well pleased.

Economy is great a nd noise levels extremely low, emissions are non existent.

Overall if he can't put 155 kegs on the stern (90 hp suzi) the 70 is a good pick.

Cheers

Don,

I put a 70 4 stroke on my Haines 445F last year. Good motor but I must say I'm disappointed with the performance especially compared to the previous motor, a 60 hp yammer 4 stroke.

I had expected both a top end and accelleration/ torque increase and have failed to realise either.

I have tried 6 stainless props to no avail.

If I hadn't had the 60 I would be over the moon with the 70 so your friend will probably be pleased with the change.

My boat is very heavy (1200kgs on the trailer) so his may be lighter and go better. Most guys putting the same motor on tiniest are well pleased.

Economy is great a nd noise levels extremely low, emissions are non existent.

Overall if he can't put 155 kegs on the stern (90 hp suzi) the 70 is a good pick.

Cheers

Thanks for that feedback mate.

Hi, the 60 and 70HP are basically the same engine and the 70HP Yamahas I have driven they were not the strongest performers, yes quiet at idle but if your mate wants a 4-Stroke of this sort of HP then I would think some of the other brands would suit better. What engine is he removing because he could actually go backwards in performance and a 16 foot glass boat with a 1L 70HP is pushing the friendship, but the problem he may have is that older hull could not carry the extra weight of some more powerful 4-Strokes. If I was him I would fit something else but if he is really wanting the F70 I would want the dealer to be prepared to work with him on props and set-up to get the best out of it.

Cheers,

Huey.

Hi, I obviously recommend the brand we have been selling since 1964 and have stood the test of time in salt water. All outboards are good but a deep vee heavy boat like a HH ( I am guessing it is a 16R or the like if 4.8) with that F70 will be a big disappointment after spending that hard earned cash. Trust me I could ring up any brand of outboard engine tomorrow and start selling them if I thought they were better but in our over 50 years of experience we have pretty much fitted them all and worked on them all and as I said I like what we sell. If he is really interested in what I would fit to such a boat and just for laughs he wants to compare prices ( and by that I mean with SST prop, 5 year FACTORY warranty, service costs factored in and cash back running at present) then he should call, email or PM me and I can give him my thoughts on what I see 6 days a week.

Cheers,

Huey.

I have a good mate with a 16r fitted with a F60 and I was surprised how well it went. It did top out at 24knts so not really doing what the 16R does best, going fast in a sea. I had another mate ( now in Weipa) who had a 90hp Honda on a 16R and it was an excellent boat.

That hull will handle a 90 or 100 hp four stroke easily.

Like Tim the toolman says "I don't care what the problem is there is one solution MORE POWER!"

Cheers

Marlin

Honda 75hp @160 kgs or 60hp @ 110kgs.

I am on my second Honda motor and in 10 years have not had one problem ( other than the one that was my fault).

Noiseless, smokeless, oil-less, faultless!!

5 year FACTORY warranty.

Never look back.

Tuffy

The Suzuki 70 hp four stroke motor is basically a detuned Suzuki 90 4 stroke and has a much larger cubic capacity than the Yamaha 70 4 stroke (which is a higher tuned derivative of the Yamaha 60).

My personal opinion is that the Suzuki 70 would be a better fit due to having higher mid range torque (within the stated limits of 'wanting a 70 horse power 4 stroke') assuming that the extra weight isn't an issue.

Edited by Jabiru658