Getting a yak! Some quick questions!

Witha

G'day raiders! So after slogging my bum off at work 7 days a week over these uni holidays I've convinced the minister for finance that a kayak is definitely now on the cards :) done quite a but of research...killing my productivity at work. And am set on the yak I want and am going to try it out tomorrow :) (big thanks to the gf allowing a quick stop off at the place before Valentines festivities...after some recent success she's even getting into fishing herself! Think I've found a keeper)

Have a few questions which searching around haven't quite covered. If you've got a minute any input would be great!

1. Roof racks...I have a commodore wagon and need to get a set. Any cheap/reasonably priced ones raiders know of /what is your preference/ do you use those yak cradles that fit onto them?

2. Sounder: lowrance x4, through hull shooting? Am I right in thinking that if you get a perfect seal /no air pockets in the adhesive then through hull can work well? Do you position the transducer at the back or front of the yak? Which adhesive do you recommend?

3. Accessories like rod leashes / anchor trolleys and general knick knacks. Are there any fishraider preferred /sponsored sites or companies or any you guys have had experience with.

4. Trolling: when dragging a lure how far back do you let it sit from the yak?

Thanks guys and hope to see you on the water within the week!

Will be paddling everywhere from botany to Pittwater so hopefully can head out with some of you once I get my sea legs back.

Cheers

Witha

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk

Hi Mate,

Congrats on the decision, I had a hobie for 18 months until my son grew old enough to come out in a boat with me so I traded it in, but there is no better feeling than getting out on the water for a fish out of a yak.

I can offer my advice on a couple of your queries.

1. I used rhino racks on my sedan and they carried the mammoth 40+kg hobie PA with no problem at all, depending on the shape of the hull you shouldn't need the yak cradles as long as the bottom of the yak is fairly flat.

2. The x4 should do the trick, having gona through 2 black and white finders and finally upgrading to colour, I'll never go back to B/W but you are just getting started so it will be more than enough for understanding depth and getting an idea if you're over a bait ball etc. Transducer works fine through the hull, but you obviously can't get a water temperature read. I had mine professionally installed by the store that I bought the yak from so I knew there would be no bubbles etc.

3. if you have decent rods/reels you should use rod leashes. Not sure about sponsors for that sort of gear around hear but I found Scotty gear to be top notch for all kayak accessories. if you intend to fish any shallow water I'd also grab a stake out pole, you can actually make one if you google it as they can be a bit expensive to buy on top of all the other gear you're gonna want.

4. Trolling really depends on the lure type and the depth you want it, since the yak doesn't create any disturbance in the water to scare fish off you don't need to be miles back from the vessel to catch fish.

Awesome thanks Linc! Yeah am literally getting anxious at work waiting to go try her out! Had an idea to make a stakeout pole from a 2.4m Hawaiian prong sling spear I have...light weight aluminium but also really strong hopefully it'll do the trick! Half the fun will be pimping it out...can't wait to get started! After finishing a project motorbike last year it's definitely time to fill the workshop up again with ideas :P

Also another quick question, looking at the lowrance x4 vs x4 elite (colour) does colour just indicate water temp for you? Or are there other bonuses? I like the elite better but I'm most likely doing a through-hull setup as I cant think of a way to mount it externally without smashing it into things...so water temp wouldn't be doable..

Thanks guys

Witha

• 3 weeks later...

The colour is just to make it look pretty.

No really the colours are some what like the different shades of grey on the black and white. The different colours will indicate the different density of an object, say a soft mud or weed bottom or rock.

If you are just looking for water depth/drop offs or bait ect black and white will give you what you want.

I was going to buy a Hummingbird 16 colour grey scale sounder as my first choice, but the local BCF store had one left in stock, and it was fitted to a display craft. Never mind. I was about to leave the store when the Lowrance Elite 4x caught my eye. It was smaller the the 'bird, but it had all the features I was looking for ( I wasn't sold on side scan at the time), and the price was right.

I've only been out with it once, due to recent illness, but I had the transducer transom mounted and it showed up structure clearly AND showed small fish near the surface. This was confirmed by my soft plastics being shredded by little chopper tailor. That was in colour mode. The next time, I want to play with the grey scale and see how that works for me. I've since mounted the transducer to shoot through the hull. Still a bit nervous about the air bubble situation, but I took my time doing it, so fingers crossed.

But, yeah, when it comes to sounders, it's more about things like sensitivity, resolution and interpretation, rather than colour or black and white. And price, of course. It comes down to buy what you can afford and learn to use it to the best of your ability. Remember, the sounder won't catch the fish. That's up to you.

In any case, don't let it get in the way of a good kayak experience.

Edited by GreyNurse