advice needed on which size motor to buy

jay_stylz

hey guys im about to upgrade my motore on my carrbbean crest cutter (see photo) just not sure what size to get i was thinking either a 90 hp or 115 hp but not sure which would be better it had a 70 2 stroke yammy on the back of it seem to move it along pretty well but lacked a bit of intnial pick up and took it abit to get it on the plane looking to get up to about 5 ks off shore

post-10292-0-36548600-1392595119_thumb.jpg

Hi, as I think I mentioned on the phone this morning any V4 E/J or Y would work well on that hull and provide a lot more get up and go than that I-3 Y.

There is a Raider looking to sell his V4 Yammy-it is X/L but not hard to modify your transom to fit an X/L engine and you may find it a bit hard sourcing a good second engine at present-not many good ones going around.

Cheers,

Huey.

Fisher Jay I think a 90 would do the trick but keep your eye on the weight.

Your current 70 2 S weighs 106kg,other Yammie motors weigh,

90 2S 121kg

115 2S 165kg

100 4S 170kg

115 4S 189kg

If you go 4S , it's getting close to having a person standing down the back with your current 70 2S

How would the boat sit in that situation?

Geoff

Mmm that's wats I think I so was gonna stick to the 2 stroke range

Thanks Huey for that much appreciated

Still unsure if which motor to get but swaying in the direction of the 115 yamaha wondering how reliable they oppose to something like an etec ?

Hi Mate, the V4 Yamaha are fine engines and being old tech there is less to go wrong than any modern clean tech engine with all the extra gear that comes along with these modern engines of any brand. As mentioned on the phone buying second hand can be a lottery but the V4's from any of the brands that made them-like E/J and Y are all fine outboards if the current owner has maintained them correctly. As Geoff said the I-3 90HP from Y and M will be less weight but not a great step in performance and you could always be wanting more HP so see if you can find a good V4-like Daves one.

Cheers,

Huey.