Motor Service Costs

Paikea

I just got the good news from the Mercury dealer who is doing a 100 hour service on my 135 HP Optimax.

Seems the fuel has gone off so needs to be drained and replaced, new spark plugs, gaskets for the gearbox, etc etc.

So the boat not having been used for a long time is costing me $950.00. But then again what price to have the comfort of knowing that all is A1.

They do say that a boat is a hole in the water that you pour money into. Can't argue with that.

Cheers

Paikea

Paikea,

I had my 75hp merc serviced just before Xmas and it was $890 for everything. Paid the bloke $800 cash as there's no gst on cash! Lol

Couldn't be happier. They did a great job and it performs awesome!

Look forward to you getting the chance to use it!

Cheers scratchie!!!

Guest Aussie007

Paikea, i dont think engines have gaskets in the gearbox only seals is that what u meant? spark plugs u can change your self no different than to a car or lawn mower, the fuel is easy to siphon and do it your self automotive shops sell special siphon hoses u put it down the fuel tank cap give it a few jigs and it siphons the fuel up and out

Hi, that is about what I would expect for a V6 OPTI at the yearly/100 hour service. There would of been some charge to drain the old fuel (I hope they did that-as well as checked for blocked injectors) and the plugs(especially no.6) are real PIA to change and trust me many home handyman has crossthreaded and damaged the threads in the cylinder heads and be up for a lot more money than that. There are gasket under and above the water pump plate in this gearcase so all in all if Paikea was happy with the service provided than that is the main thing.

Cheers,

Huey.

Guest Aussie007

Hi, that is about what I would expect for a V6 OPTI at the yearly/100 hour service. There would of been some charge to drain the old fuel (I hope they did that-as well as checked for blocked injectors) and the plugs(especially no.6) are real PIA to change and trust me many home handyman has crossthreaded and damaged the threads in the cylinder heads and be up for a lot more money than that. There are gasket under and above the water pump plate in this gearcase so all in all if Paikea was happy with the service provided than that is the main thing.

Cheers,

Huey.

thanks for correcting me i didnt think there were any gaskets :biggrinthumb:

I am sure the dealer did a good job, I know them well and totally trust them.

The fuel was at least 12 months old so I was happy to change it. Pity that the tank was near full.

I did not get a quote as that would not have been possible due to the motor not having been used for a long time making it impossible for the dealer to know what to expect when they started the service.

I think that it comes down to finding a dealer that you trust to do the right thing and when you find one stick with them.

Thanks all for your comments. very helpful.

Cheers

Paikea

Guest Aussie007

I am sure the dealer did a good job, I know them well and totally trust them.

The fuel was at least 12 months old so I was happy to change it. Pity that the tank was near full.

I did not get a quote as that would not have been possible due to the motor not having been used for a long time making it impossible for the dealer to know what to expect when they started the service.

I think that it comes down to finding a dealer that you trust to do the right thing and when you find one stick with them.

Thanks all for your comments. very helpful.

Cheers

Paikea

ive never used this product but u can use a fuel stabalizer fuel-stabil? i think is the name u add the recommended dose it keeps your fuel fresh for 1 year, u add double the dose it keeps your fuel fresh for 2 years