Saturday night middle harbour

DanRob

Hi raiders!

This is another tale of disappointment but I'm getting much closer to getting onto some good fish in middle harbour.

After I put kids to sleep I took the boat to tunks around 9pm. I tried to slow troll fresh dead squid under the spit bridge a couple of times - no takers. I went to a mooring around the baths at Clontaff to try for yakkas (I thought I would try find a new spot as I couldn't be bothered heading to balmoral) after an hour and heaps of burley nothing. I don't think they like the night as much. So after all that headed to balmoral and had not much love, one slimey about 25cm ( so I think, it wasn't a yakka or small tailor)

So, in the end I hooked up the livey and drifted back around Clontaff. On the first drift, the slimey got worked up and I picked up the rod and flipped the bail, a fish took it and then took off harder and faster than I had ever felt with the head shakes that I have read about.

After 30sec of this fish going nuts, nothing. It spat the hook. Disappointment doesn't come close to describing how I felt. So I persisted with the drift with the dead squid strips but nothing else.

So now I know I am getting closer to catching something decent around middle harbour but I have not stopped think about what could have been!

Next time....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Keep at it. The rocky point at the end of clontarf will hold Yakkas most nights. Rub bread between your hands whilst under the water and they shouldn't be long. Live bait and tide change is even more key at night.

That's fishing mate. It happens to us all. I have a feeling it was a jew that was on your line though. Not much chases live baits around at night aside from jews and sharks and if your leader wasn't sliced I daresay it wasn't a shark. Was it on the slack of the tide or was the tide running?

Keep at it mate, I'm sure you will come good very soon.

Luc.

Thanks guys. Nights aren't really ideal but i take what I get!

Not sure if it right on the slack of the tide but water wasn't moving too fast at all. The high was about three hrs prior.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

do the same thing at 7am in MH and I think your results will be vastly different

Otherwise, if you have to fish nights - anchor up on a drop off and fish the same baits 2 hours either side of the tide, unweighted and let them drift to the bottom

Sounds like a jew. Burley King is right as MH fishes much better during the day. Most of my jews are caught within the first few hours of sunrise. Through in a high or low and chances are good for jews, kings and big flatties.

Mike

Sounds like a jew. Burley King is right as MH fishes much better during the day. Most of my jews are caught within the first few hours of sunrise. Through in a high or low and chances are good for jews, kings and big flatties.

Mike

Hey Mike,

Have you run inot the bloke who fishes the run out through sunrise. He launches at Tunks from 11pm or so. I keep running into him on my way back in ... seems like a gun fisho!

I thought if anyone might know him it might be you.