Yellowfin Tuna in Pittwater - on a Bait Jig

Bracey

Back in the 60s May grandad caught 3 ,40 pounders from west head on live slimies. On a handline wraped around a square piece of cork. That corner used to be infested with slimies back then. Where r they now...

• 2 weeks later...

I'm not 100%, but think your tuna is a bigeye, not a yellowfin which i guess would make it more rare.

Great catch by the way, tuna are a amazing fish.

G'day Snorka

I had no idea that Bigeye looked so similar to YFT. Started searching the web and as usual there is heaps of info out there. Came across this one site that had a whole power point presentation on it. Here is the link http://www.mexfish.com/fish/beyetuna/ItanoBigeyeTunaID.pdf I think it is still a yellowfin. Main mark is the M shaped notch at the base of the caudal fin. On bigeye it is smooth. Bigeye also have longer thinner pectoral fins that extend back to inline with the second dorsal fin. It's a short stumpy one on my fish. So hard to say for sure though.

Cheers, Bart

post-20875-0-35989600-1394487834_thumb.jpg

post-20875-0-51095400-1394487846_thumb.jpg

post-20875-0-08682500-1394487958_thumb.jpg

Edited by Bartdude

i reckon its a longtail, it doesnt have the stripes and dots on the lower sides, they are also a regular land based catch up the coast,

big eyes live way out and are tend to be deep during the day.

no less of a catch though, well done.

G'day Snorka

I had no idea that Bigeye looked so similar to YFT. Started searching the web and as usual there is heaps of info out there. Came across this one site that had a whole power point presentation on it. Here is the link http://www.mexfish.com/fish/beyetuna/ItanoBigeyeTunaID.pdf I think it is still a yellowfin. Main mark is the M shaped notch at the base of the caudal fin. On bigeye it is smooth. Bigeye also have longer thinner pectoral fins that extend back to inline with the second dorsal fin. It's a short stumpy one on my fish. So hard to say for sure though.

Cheers, Bart

I think you are right after all Bartdude, I seen the shorter dorsal fin and jumped to the conclusion it may be a bigeye, I didn't occur to me that Juvenile YFT wouldn't have grow them long yet, nice link very much enjoyed the read!

Edited by Snorka