Catching Jew On The Beach

Lawrie

This time of the year I usually head down to the beach about an hour before dark with my mate lee.From august to the end of october is the best time for big jewfish for us.To rig up for these big guy,s I use a one piece 7144 rod with a good quality threadline reel loaded with 40 lb tuff line .and 40 lb good quality nylon line.use a 4oz-6oz pyramid sinker and 4foot of leader as a runing rig.Now comes the hard part , finding some nice water to fish This will come with experience,but i like a hole at the end of a small gutter .Best tide for them seems to be on the top of the tide and just after. and also on the bottom of the tide as well. for some reason they seem to come in for a feed at this time.Now for bait you can use pilly,s or squid, But my all time favourite bait are taylor heads, just run the knife down behind the head and just through the back bone and then hold the head and the body and pull apart you will end up with the head and the gut lining.Now you need to snood two 10/0 octapus hooks 90 mil apart, The top hook will go under the chin and out the top of his nose and other hook imbed in the gut make sure points are well exposed. usally throw out on the end of the sand bar and it will find it,s way in to the edge of the hole ,they will come in around the bar and your bait will be in his tracks, What hapens next will get the heart going. Believe Me. I,ll finish off the exiting bit in a day or two.as i have to go ,Hope i have been of some assistance to some of you .

Catch ya later Lawrie.

Id give soft plastics a go the squigy range in the 130 mm look great and the extra weight makes it easy to cast into the surf just cast out and work the gutters with a slow retrieve and jig it up every now and then if you feel a hit set the hooks strait away as they tend to spit out sps pretty quick once hooked set the hook 2 or 3 moor times then hang on for the ride i wreckon the bigger the better.....

Edited by Jocool

Id give soft plastics a go the squigy range in the 130 mm look great and the extra weight makes it easy to cast into the surf just cast out and work the gutters with a slow retrieve and jig it up every now and then if you feel a hit set the hooks strait away as they tend to spit out sps pretty quick once hooked set the hook 2 or 3 moor times then hang on for the ride i wreckon the bigger the better.....

63773[/snapback]

I reckon your right about the sp's in the surf. I have been trialling them in central coast suds and found them to be more sucessful than i thought so.. The usual suspects of flatties and salmon are par with course and the occasional jew thrown in an added bonus.

As Sharky says big squidgy's are the best to use.. cast well and have an enticing action.. although any big hunk of plastic should work.