Kempsey fishing advice

DanRob

G'day raiders

So work is sending me to Kempsey next Monday-Wednesday. Naturally my first response is to see of I can fish there. I won't have a boat and only minimal stuff.

Is it worth fishing the manning river or should I go else where?

Will a 7ft bream stick with 6lb gear and a few plastics be ok or is there reason to bring bigger and heavier?

As I am working during the day I'll be free to fish early or after 5.

Any opinions appreciated!

Cheers,

Dan

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

G'day raiders

So work is sending me to Kempsey next Monday-Wednesday. Naturally my first response is to see of I can fish there. I won't have a boat and only minimal stuff.

Is it worth fishing the manning river or should I go else where?

Will a 7ft bream stick with 6lb gear and a few plastics be ok or is there reason to bring bigger and heavier?

As I am working during the day I'll be free to fish early or after 5.

Any opinions appreciated!

Cheers,

Dan

Dan

You could fish the Manning river but its a hell of a drive back to Taree . Kempsey is on the Macleay River so your probably better off to fish there.

Try heading out to Sth West Rocks, about 15 mins drive. plenty of good Bream and flathead spot land based near the local fish co op. Along the breakwall and near the mouth of the river is a gun spot for Jewies but you might need some heavier artillerary.

Back creek as the locals call it around the wharf and boat ramps are also good for bream and flathead and the occasional tailor.

Hi DanRob

You could try the main beach at Crescent Head.

Live worms are available at the service station in town if the sign is out, they go fast.

The whiting fishing is very good.

The beaches down the back road to Pt Plomer are great too but harder to get to, long dirt stretches can be rough.

Ryder

Thanks guys!

I won't be driving back to taree, might just have to consider the Macleay river :)

SWR has got me thinking, might be worth putting in a few hours that night to try my luck for a jewie.

Which river mouth are we taking about? Doing a google search I see a small creek near the town and a big river a bit further north. Does one fish better than another for Jewies? How accessible are these spots with a sedan?

Oh and last question :) , with limited time where is it best to pick up some bait? Should I even attempt live bait?

Cheers,

Dan

post-12725-0-36807700-1393647233_thumb.jpgpost-12725-0-99039000-1393647267_thumb.jpgpost-12725-0-10202400-1393647269_thumb.jpgBoth Back creek and the main river are easy to get to and you can virtually fish out of your car.

Back creek is very shallow see photos, good for mullet Bream at night, very quiet during the day.

Much better trying the main river. Go to the Pub near the Boatshed have Dinner, cross the road and start fishing.

Bait available at the Boatshed.100 metres further down the road.

Grandad

Edited by grandad