Alternator issue

tom_125

Can anyone give me some advice?

I have been having some battery problems lately with running out of battery I have a 2009 mercury 60hp, I tested the battery after fully charged and it read 12.7 volts and also while running it read 12.7 volts I believe I have an issue with my alternator, does anyone agree and could anyone give me a price range I should be expecting for a new one to be installed?

Agree, with it running you should get 14.2 to 14.6 volts with engine running at a reasonable rpm.

Try giving our site sponsor Huey a buzz and im sure he will help you out.

Sent from my GT-I8730T using Tapatalk

Hi, your outboard does not have an alternator like a car that is driven via a belt. The charging system is made up of a Stator and regulator and you will need to see what the charging system is putting out via a DVA meter to see if within specs. If you have wing nuts on the battery then a very good chance the regulator is gone and around $250 gets a new one of these.

Cheers,

Huey.

No problem and you can be added to the list of problems caused by wing nuts on batteries and you will need the charging system checked to determine the parts needed to fix the problem-having a faulty regulator will not stop an outboard so perhaps you have damaged the ignition system as well-that will add up quick. I sure hope you get rid of those wing nuts and who ever fitted the engine should be shot for fitting them.

Hi, has been discussed many times and has always been the same on all outboards since the early days. Wing nuts by nature are done up by hand and they will vibrate loose and cause many problems, from expensive parts needing replacing to fires on board. If you have wing nuts get rid of them and fit nylock nuts that need to be done up with a spanner and will not vibrate loose.