Cronulla Fishing Session

jimbo61

Neighbor and I decided to have a last minute beach fishing session before summer runs out. So after a quick round of planning and getting permission from the missuses, we hit the road at 5.30 am this morning. Listening to the fishing reports on radio it sounded promising with good catches being reported. That got us keen to get into it however, the weather was a bit off with onshore winds and rain. Stopping at Macs bait we picked up a slab of pillies and decided to head to Wanda.

We got their just after 6 and realised that we would not get a parking spot! Half of the bloody shire was already there. What the heck we thought and could not work out why all these cars were here in the rain. As we were getting into our wet weather gear and getting our rods ready for the hike what looked like a 150 people started to run past us with the boot camp trainer yelling to head for the dunes.

Got to our gutter and we were the only fishos on the beach. Quickly setup our Alveys and 7144's and cast the first pillies into the soapy surf and nothing for a while. Then I got a small flattie that went back in. My neighbor got some bunches of weed and then I caught some weed too.

It went quite so we had a coffee break. While we were enjoying our coffee another group of about 40 bootcampers invaded the beach and started their grunting routine nearby. These things don't normally annoy me and I am a sociable person but just sometimes you want to get away from it. We thought miserable, cloudy, windy, rain would be enough to ensure some solitude but no.

Started fishing again and I then got onto some tailor. Caught 4 with smallest at 32cm. Neighbor then caught a seagull. I got another 2 tailor of around 40cm. Neighbor got seaweed and then drank coffee.

I then had a break too. We then got back into it on run out. I got another 3 flatties all went back in. Neighbour got another seagull. At this point I just burst out laughing at the poor bloke.

He had the last laugh though because he then brought in nice fat flattie of about 60cm.

Went quiet then except for another flattie that again was too small so back in it went. I downsized to justa single gang with a small ball sinker right on the hook and cast a whole pillie in. Surface strike immediately and brought in a small salmon. We decided to fillet it and my neighbor sent out the first fillet. Bam he was on. Salmon that jumped three times before landing. Well sort of as the salmon broke off right at our feet and we proceeded to kick it up out of the surf. This went to around 60 cm and was fat.

Caught one more tailor and then it went dead about midday.

All in all a great day fishing

post-31099-0-62546900-1393669728_thumb.jpeg

Glad to see your preserving paid of with some legal fish. Much more enjoyable than what I was doing (gyprocking the kitchen).

I walk at 6am down at Cronulla most mornings and don't see many fishing the beach. I gave the walk a miss yesterday didn't want to get wet.

Bruce

Yep the peskie boot campers. They are everywhere around Sutherland Shire at the moment.

Good hall from the beach. Living nearby I have been endeavouring to get down on the beach and do a bit of fishing - but have been out in the boat instead.

When walking the dogs along Greenhills beach, I always stop and have a chat to the fishos. Some seem to do quite well..