Sydney snapper off the rocks

VBCB

Hi guys,

It's been while since I haven't posted anything for diverse reasons but mainly because I moved to a new flat.

On top of that, changed of work, and hours :S

The keen early morn kingfish hunter that I am is now forced to fish the arvo, explore new techniques or come back to some types of fishing that I haven't been doing for a while.

The one thing that will never change is that I like to fish from the land and last week, I was blessed to catch that beautiful 51 cm snapper on a strip of freshly caught squid.

First real bottom session since a couple of years, and I get to catch my PB snapper for Sydney Eastern Suburbs' stones, not a monster but a nice Sydney land based fish I'd say.

A bit of a fluke, but it definitely helps to swallow the fact that I can't fish mornings anymore :)

PS; I also got into blackfish on weed, never did it before and got my fair share of ludericks and small drummers literally every session, that fishing is good fun and I now understand why so many people are hooked to it.

post-30692-0-93143300-1393927911_thumb.jpg

Nice fish mate, and very early in the season too. I don't normally start to target reddies from the Sydney stones for a couple more moons yet, but goes to show they are always about. Were you fishing the bottom or floaters down a burley trail?

I have caugh snpper like this at Kiama in close to the rocks also seen another guy on a little tinny catching snappers very close to the rocks in the morning at jb he says when the sun comes up they retreat into deep water

Nice fish mate, and very early in the season too. I don't normally start to target reddies from the Sydney stones for a couple more moons yet, but goes to show they are always about. Were you fishing the bottom or floaters down a burley trail?

Was fishing the bottom, chasing snapper actually. Pater noster rig.

Awesome fish from land based!

Any tricks to getting your bait out far enough to be in snapper territory ? or do you have an enormous cast ? :D

You'd be surprised, snapper territory is not always far, sometimes down your feet ;) they love their bommies and whitewash ! That said I caught that one roughly 100m away from the ledge on a mammoth cast, as far as I can cast with a 20 cm squid strip doing the helicopter! Haha

But as I said don't get fooled ! One of my mates scored a 6 kg on a live bait last month, fishing 120 lb for kingies, down his feet!

You'd be surprised, snapper territory is not always far, sometimes down your feet ;) they love their bommies and whitewash ! That said I caught that one roughly 100m away from the ledge on a mammoth cast, as far as I can cast with a 20 cm squid strip doing the helicopter! Haha

But as I said don't get fooled ! One of my mates scored a 6 kg on a live bait last month, fishing 120 lb for kingies, down his feet!

Was the six kegger a Sydney fish, or down the coast? I know they had a cold snap in the current down there last month which accounted for a few respectable reds.. A 6kg land based snapper is a very special fish!

Hi guys,

It's been while since I haven't posted anything for diverse reasons but mainly because I moved to a new flat.

On top of that, changed of work, and hours :S

The keen early morn kingfish hunter that I am is now forced to fish the arvo, explore new techniques or come back to some types of fishing that I haven't been doing for a while.

The one thing that will never change is that I like to fish from the land and last week, I was blessed to catch that beautiful 51 cm snapper on a strip of freshly caught squid.

First real bottom session since a couple of years, and I get to catch my PB snapper for Sydney Eastern Suburbs' stones, not a monster but a nice Sydney land based fish I'd say.

A bit of a fluke, but it definitely helps to swallow the fact that I can't fish mornings anymore :)

PS; I also got into blackfish on weed, never did it before and got my fair share of ludericks and small drummers literally every session, that fishing is good fun and I now understand why so many people are hooked to it.

Nice catch mate, caught a 3KG one the other day on the rocks, where did you get yours?

Was the six kegger a Sydney fish, or down the coast? I know they had a cold snap in the current down there last month which accounted for a few respectable reds.. A 6kg land based snapper is a very special fish!

South matey you got that one right ;)