New use for carp

Day's Fishin

I have found a use for carp. I have recently started to breed my own pigs and they absolutely love to eat carp (and any other fish that I throw in)

I'll wait and see if they have a fishy flavour in about 6 months when the first one goes on the spit.

Jeff

and everything taste like chicken! lol. so will the carp eating chickens and carp eating pigs taste like dirty carp?? interesting!!. i wonder if carp will be the next animal we try graffting ears on??

Guest Aussie007

good on ya DF its a win win situation, feed the pigs and put the pest to good use :biggrinthumb:

1 last cast, cracker pic LOL

In South Australia the weirs along the Murray are fitted with fish traps which catch carp but not natives. From there they are frozen and stacked on pallets about 6ft high.

Some go to Deniliquin to a fertiliser company and the rest is used by pro's as trap bait (apparently gun cray bait).

You would be amazed at the size and quantity of fish that come out of the river!

Nothing wrong with feeding them to your pigs, infact I used to live in the Mildura are years ago on a vineyard and after the floods we would go down to the billabongs with fibreglass rods out of wine harvesters and slaughter as many as we could and feed the pigs they absolutely love fresh fish. Does not ruin the flavour of the pork at all.

what ever was left over we would put into pig traps and the pigs would come from miles to eat the fish it was an easy way of catching the pigs in places we couldn't go with dogs.

• 7 months later...

supposed to be good bait in seawater too, nice and oily,i have put the word out at work for fisho mates to bring carp and reddies back for me, going to coarse mince them and use them for cubing, and frozen in a berley cage. will let you know how it goes over xmas

One thing we used to do with Carp when we were kids was to climb up a tree with a branch overhanging a deep hole and hang the Carp off the branch until maggotts started falling into the water.

This would fire the Bass up big time and bring heaps of Mullet into the area too. In hindsight this was probably a bad move considering the eggs could fall into the water too but hey, we didn't think of that stuff as kids. It certainly worked well though.