Port Kembla - 12/3

aeb870

Rarely getting the chance to fish these days, and still chasing my first Bonito for this summer I decided to quickly duck out last weekend while visiting the parents in Wollongong.

Saturday I went down to Bass Point for an hour of nothing. Only saw one bloke land what looked from the distance to be an undersized kingy.

Sunday decided to change spots and go to the break wall at Port Kembla. Didn't look good as I was walking past everyone's empty buckets. With very little spots left, I was almost out of break wall before finding a place to stand.

In a space of 40mins I managed 4 leaping Bonito and dropped about another 4. These fish don't go as hard as the Aussie Bonito but still a good fight and now some decent bait in the freezer.

Biggest with 42 and smallest was 39.

Was spinning a white coloured plastic squid behind the float.

post-15508-13944851841422_thumb.jpg

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk

Hi aeb870

Can you provide more info on your rig?

Was there no stopper and how long was your leader?

Also how fast were you reeling in your lure?

Heard about this method and wanted to give it a go

Thanks

Hi Toboggi, I have been trying to find a photo for you on the internet but can't seem to locate any and unfortunately I left my gear in Shellharbour this week (I live in Sydney but parents live in Shellharbour).

I'll try describe it. Generally you need the main line down to the float which is fixed then a 3m+ leader down to the plastic squid (photo below).

I normally pass some wire through the float, twist the end at the top of the float and attach a heavier sinker at the bottom of the float then twist the wire. Make sure when you twist the wire to create a loop like hole to later attach a swivel onto.

That above is probably the hardest thing about this rig. After this is done, attach 50lb mono to the bottom of the float down to the plastic squid. The reason for the 50lb mono is that your line will constantly be scraping against the rocks, and in other places there is a significant lift up to the rock platform when you have the fish on.

When I attach this rig to the main line, I first attach a snap swivel to my main line then I clip the loop at the top of the float on.

Really sorry about the lack of photos and I think I made a mess out of describing it to you but I will try get you some more photos next week.

There are a probably 2 ways for retrieving, the first is to just reel as fast as you can and the second is to reel fast then stop reeling but pull your rod back before starting to reel again, and so on.

post-15508-0-55922000-1394520080_thumb.jpg

Thanks for the info mate. Look forward to the photo...interestingly I have heard from other anglers use a paternoster style rig where instead of sinker they use a metal lure. The other line they stick on a squid skirt like yours. Will have to have a go at it.

Thanks!

toboggi that's actually a smart setup you mentioned, as long as it doesn't tangle it sounds awesome.

Thanks incredible hull, will definitely let you know but it's also been a bit hard for me to get out lately since moving to Sydney.

By the way, nice explanation there. Much better than the short story I wrote that probably doesn't make sense Haha.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk