Landbased Jewfish fishing

Nas

Hi everyone I've been trying to catch my first jewfish for the last couple of months with no luck. I've tried pittwater, and georges river spots so far with no luck. So far i've only tried dead baits like red meat and squid. I highly appreciate if anyone can give me some advice regarding sydney land based spots for catching jewifsh and what baits and gear to use.

Thanks.

Do you catch your own squid?

If you do, in the fridge overnight and use it the following day. The fresher the better.

If you are fishing in the georges, try and catch some live prawns along the sandy banks and throw one out live.

Have you read the jewfish tactics thread?

Hey mate, yeah i just read through it, however, i found most of the advice is aimed at boat fishing, so im hoping someone can give me some more land specific advice, thanks for the guidance

Servo squid dosnt cut it. Your bait needs to be fresh caught or live, fresh (caught the same day or a few days before and kept on ice) squid strips or butterflied yakka or a slab of mullet or tailor also fresh or live.

10-15 kg outfit will do fine, obviously the amount of control you have over the fish will depend in your rod length.

Fishing either side of the tide change is optimum.

Harry

If it's to good to be true, it usually is...

Sorry Harry but I have to disagree a little.

For jewfish, it is mostly based around the amount of time you put into chasing them and knowing the area that you fish. Servo squid will work at times but YES you are more likely to catch bigger fish and more often with fresh bait. Jewfish work certain areas at different tides and times, that is what you need to work out! If they are not there the fresh bait means nothing!

Most jew fishermen put a hell of a lot of time for zeros whilst some people will catch the odd one as bycatch.

So my advise, find a renown spot for Jew, grab the best bait for that area, keep your bait in the strike zone, work the tides, grab a seat and a newspaper as it may be a long time between fish!

Cheers scratchie!!!

No problems nas! Once you get one, note the time, tide, bait etc. Try again around those same conditions and you'll have more success! Then the addiction takes hold! Don't be afraid to change rigs and bait either. Different things work in different places!