A Day On The Bay - 09/03/14

nanman

Hi Raiders,
I wish I could have posted about my trip last Sunday much sooner but things got in the way.

After my first post "Christening The Boat & Drama" I had to wait until last Sunday to take the boat out again & although I invited few mates to join me, none were available for various reasons. So, I thought what the heck I'm going on my own. Wife thought I was nuts given this only my 2nd time I've handled a boat but I figured I would be doing this sooner or later. So, sooner the better.

The destination this time was Botany Bay & I knew this would be a busier place so I was slightly nervous at the start. Busy it was when I got to the foreshore boat ramp at 6.30am with boats queuing up to get in the water and a young security guard getting impatient with some for taking too long. So, I thought great he's going to go off at me as well. All went smooth though reversed in one go! (practiced with tips from fellow raiders - thanks again!)
Tied up the boat & went to park the car & reversed the trailer again with no drama at all.. Sweet!

On the water about 7.15am, passed the 3rd runway & then it dawned on me I have no idea where I want to go. So I looked at the Lowrance and thought I head towards Kernel. There were few boats there so thought It would be a good place to start. Staying well clear of other guys so not to annoy them I baited up with a prawn and put it on he rod holder to bait up the next rod. As I was baiting up the 2nd rod the 1st rod buckled over peeling drag. It wasn't even a minute to hook up so I was very excited to get the first fish ever on the boat. It was a snapper about 27cm so took a quick pic and threw it back. Soon after the 2nd rod went off & again it was a snapper of similar size.
With all the excitement I didn't realise I had drifted so close the big ship & very close to the restricted zone so went back to the same area again and stared drifting. Not too long after there was a bend on the rod again. This time a 43cm flattie a keeper, great! A short while after I was on again, this time not so heavy so thought something small but to seen a size flounder. Started the motor again and started drifting again, sat down to pour a coffee the Mrs had kindly made for me at 4am but before I get a chance the rod buckles over again & this time much heavier but not pulling any drag so thinking it was a snag I wind up without too much care but to see a massive flattie rising ever so calmly. Realising there is no way I could lift it in with my 6lb leader I reach for the net. Just this second the flattie wakes up, shakes its head & bites of the line.. Damn!!
Gutted & still in shock somewhat I go up to the area again and start drifting a few times but no action for a while but then rod buckles over again. This time again it's heavy & not pulling drag or head shakes BUT this time I was hoping for a flattie again. Sure enough it was another massive flattie & it could have been the same one again as it was identical in size. Anyway, hoping this one follow the same fate I quickly reach for the net, flattie sees the boat, gets a chance to turn its head and takes off like a rocket peeling drag like crazy and then SNAP.. bite through the line again! Gutted for a while but surprisingly got over it quick. I think I was just happy to witness such a thing. The sight of a large fish coming up the water column from the deep clear water is such an awesome site that I've never experienced until this trip and now I've witnessed it twice within 20mins. Everyday since this trip I've seen flashes of this sight in my head over and over again and I'm dying to get back to witness it again. I'm totally hooked!
I decided to try explore around the bay after a while so I thought I would head west towards Dolls Point area but on my way I saw more boats fishing near weed patches & so I thought I'd give it a go myself. No luck for a while apart from few very small flatties. The tide had changed by this point and I was drifting towards Towra. Keeping a close eye on the GPS so would fish in the legal area I kept on drifting with a prawn on on the hook and flicking a softplastic on the other. After a while while my mate is on the phone I had left to soft plastic to drift as well and the rod goes off. I thought it was snagged on the weeds again but knowing I could be on again I wind in to see a decent flattie around 55cm on the end of the line which I managed to net without dramas this time and into the esky it went.
After drifting some more I caught a small pike foul hooked on its tail on my soft plastic. Few more drifts after as I was thinking of wrapping up I was on again and this time on a decent bream. Got in into the net without a problem and into the esky it went. The wind was picking up and the sails were out.. jeez those things fly across the water!
Quite satisfied with the day and with a tail to tell of the two that got away I headed back to the ramp & home. I wish I had a GoPro stuck on my head to capture those two giants that got away but never mind!
Btw, reading some of the other posts it seems like I was just lucky to be at the right places as most guys didn't have much luck over the weekend or on the other hand maybe it doesn't take much to make me happy.

Cheers,
Nans

post-20168-0-05360100-1394710181_thumb.jpeg

post-20168-0-48644500-1394710201_thumb.jpeg

post-20168-0-43858100-1394710224_thumb.jpeg

post-20168-0-44473600-1394710242_thumb.jpeg

post-20168-0-26077800-1394710270_thumb.jpeg

Hi Nans,

Really enjoyed reading your post sounds like you had a great day with some real nice fish,unlucky on losing those big flatties maybe next time ,

But still a nice feed of fish,looking forward to your next report

Thanks

Craig

Great post mate really enjoyed the read :) good work always unlucky with the flatties I've lost quite a few good ones to leaders being worn through by their rough mouths! Keep up the good work glad to see the launch and retrieve went smooth!

Cheers

Witha

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk

Great post and good catch. There will always be the one that got away, that's what keeps you going back. Launching by yourself is always daunting at a busy ramp but remember we have all been there done that and help, if needed is never far away.

Great report, got yourself a decent feed there!

Better luck next time with the big flatties. What length do you think they were?

I think they were around the 70cm mark & that is huge by my standards :)

Good write up nans, sounds like u covered alot of ground and worked out a number of areas to look for flatties next time.

If ur chasing flatties go for a heavier leader mate, they wont get away next time ;)

I went and got myself 10lb black magic leader.. do you think that's enough?

10lb is the lightest i go for flatties, usually 10-15lb will get the job done, some people fish heavier but you get less strikes

Not really. You will still get bitten off. 20lb is good but it depends if you want to use line that thick and maybe get less bites.

I would use about 10lb and concentrate more on technique and hooks if using baits. Use long shank hooks. Maybe how you put the bait on the hooks, sensing takes early and when to set the hook. Don't lift their head too close to the surface when near the net. Keep them as low as possible under the water and they will be less likely to thrash around. That's a few things you can try..

Don't lift their head too close to the surface when near the net. Keep them as low as possible under the water and they will be less likely to thrash around.

I second that. Lizards tend to saw through the line rather than bite through it as such. Keep the head down low in the water and you have a better chance. That's why I favour a long handled net with a big wide mouth - it allows me to come up from under the fish and net it whole a lot of the time.

Baz

I havent had a problem with 10lb black magic , i use it also..hasnt let me down sp fishing. Even if the lures been swallowed. However always check ur leader for nicks near the hook.. If its a bigger fish you tend to nurse it anyway, gl for next time mate!