Drummer rigs

rockfisherman

keep it minimal. about a 1/0 hook and some cunje, prawn or bread bait. stick a small split shot on if the water is a bit rough otherwise let the bait drift down slowly. fish wherever there are cunje beds and you should be sweet. berley up.

If targeting drummers, give them a few beers and 9/8 and 5/4 time signatures and that'll throw them! Lol (Sorry, I'm a guitarist!)

Stevie G is right. Keep it minimal. Bread, peeled prawn or cunjie bait on a 1/0 hook. No lead if possible, or the smallest ball sinker possible running right to the hook. Let it float around in the wash. When they reef you, and they will, this is the simplest rig to rerig!

Baz

No float ?

No swivel ?

If it's to good to be true, it usually is...

You can use a float and swivel set up and i have but I like to keep it simple. An Alvey, mono straight to the hook, and maybe a small ball sinker running right to the hook. This is easy to cast with an Alvey, floats naturally in the wash and is quick to rerig if you get busted off or your line gets nicks etc. and less to carry in and out! I don't like to overcomplicate things!

Baz

You can use a float and swivel set up and i have but I like to keep it simple. An Alvey, mono straight to the hook, and maybe a small ball sinker running right to the hook. This is easy to cast with an Alvey, floats naturally in the wash and is quick to rerig if you get busted off or your line gets nicks etc. and less to carry in and out! I don't like to overcomplicate things!

Baz

Cheers, thanks

Baz

Way to go! The ultimate rig for Drummer!

The big red prawns seem to give the most constant result.

Cheers

Paikea

funny story on catching drummer, went fishing with a mate and his old man, they spent $30 on the high flash prawns which they didnt allow me to use any so i was left with some bread which they laughed and said yeh that would work, we where fishing off a bit of a cliffy area so i just chucked a ball of bread on a 1/0 hook off the ledge and let it wash around, within 5 mins i'd hooked onto a massive drummer my biggest to date. after i caught it and they had caught zilch they decided it was too cold and they wanted to go home. So KISS is the best option (keep it simple stupid) bread, hook, hold on!

Agree with the above.

I use cooked prawns and number 4 mustad bream hooks. Mono straight to hook is the go. I wsd using a braid to mono set up but the bust offs took too long to recover from. ..now its mono all the way. I berley with bread crumbs and flour. Small sinker or no sinker depending on the strength of the current.

I also use woolies prawns. ..the whole raw banana prawns. Also Cunje if you can get it at low tide.

Smallest sinker right down to a strong 2/0 suicide hook on 15 - 20 pound Schneider mono.

Burley with soaked white bread, small amounts at regular intervals, concentrate close in to the ledges where there's a lot of white wash.

Prepare to get a lot of snags coz youll find they're right in the caves and crevices at your feet - this is where you want to concentrate your fishing.

Find a ledge where there's a lot of green weed and Cunje growth with whitewash.

If the water is calm and not a lot of whitewash or movement...crack open an urchin and throw it in as berley. .The gropers love it!

I find Cunje is #1 bait followed by raw banana prawns. But the other guys are right on the money too with bread and Royal Reds...

Don't strike as soon as you feel the "tap, tap"...wait until you feel the line loaded with weight and then give it heaps!

Sent from my SM-N9005 using Tapatalk 2

I also use woolies prawns. ..the whole raw banana prawns. Also Cunje if you can get it at low tide.

Smallest sinker right down to a strong 2/0 suicide hook on 15 - 20 pound Schneider mono.

Burley with soaked white bread, small amounts at regular intervals, concentrate close in to the ledges where there's a lot of white wash.

Prepare to get a lot of snags coz youll find they're right in the caves and crevices at your feet - this is where you want to concentrate your fishing.

Find a ledge where there's a lot of green weed and Cunje growth with whitewash.

If the water is calm and not a lot of whitewash or movement...crack open an urchin and throw it in as berley. .The gropers love it!

I find Cunje is #1 bait followed by raw banana prawns. But the other guys are right on the money too with bread and Royal Reds...

Don't strike as soon as you feel the "tap, tap"...wait until you feel the line loaded with weight and then give it heaps!

Thank you Doctor Mousse

Harry

Hehe no problem Harry...charge it to the Medicare

I bought my first Alvey just over a year ago after you gave advice on a post I wrote

I've pretty much only fished for drummer and groper since!

Hehe no problem Harry...charge it to the Medicare

I bought my first Alvey just over a year ago after you gave advice on a post I wrote

I've pretty much only fished for drummer and groper since!

I'm going for a drummer session Sunday morning, hopefully iv got something to report.

What sort if Alvey reel and rod did you go for ??

Harry

I have two now..

Both the 650A5 and and the 650 rockhopper with drag, on Alvey beachmaster 13 foot rods.

I use the direct wind for drummer in close and have the second out further using a float and ganged hooks for salmon, bonito etc

I have two now..

Both the 650A5 and and the 650 rockhopper with drag, on Alvey beachmaster 13 foot rods.

I use the direct wind for drummer in close and have the second out further using a float and ganged hooks for salmon, bonito etc

If you think they're good, have a go of their smaller reels like the 45BC on a rod 550 for smaller species. So light.

Harry