South West Rocks Charter

Paikea

Just got back from visiting the grandkids at Byron and called into SWR for two days staying in a cabin at the Big 4 park.

As I did not manage to get any fishing in whilst with the kids the boss suggested that I go out on a charter at SWR. Gotta love that girl!

Joined 9 other guys on a purpose built ally boat and headed out. First stop some K's out was a possie where they had been getting Spanish Mackerel. The place was like a car park including one small tinnie and a guy in a Yak who was locked onto a fish. Roberta thinks it may have been her friend who is the expert Yak fisho in the area.

Roberta had been fishing SWR in her Yak just before we arrived, unfortunately we missed the chance to meet her but did manage to speak on the phone.

We did no good at all in the first spot so the skipper kept moving but all to no avail. We then headed out to the Fisheries Fad to try for Dollies, again, a blank. Next was another spot where one of the fishos caught a just legal Morwong. I managed to catch a baby "Flower Pot" (Red Rock Cod) that went back in.

Tried several other spots all for a blank and then headed back after some 6 hours on the boat. Just before we hit the Bar a trolling rod went off as a 12 Kg Spanish Mackerel jumped the red and white lure letting at least one fisho to catch a fish.

Crossing the bar on the way back was a doddle, no worries at all as the Skipper rode the backs of the waves in.

Still a nice day on the water but I think that my next Charter (if any ) will be with our sponsor who seems to have a good record of putting clients onto fish.

Enjoy the pics

Cheers

Paikea

The Mackerel at 12 Kg was supposed to be free of Ciguatera but from all accounts they are not safe to eat. So why take the chance?

Great day out on the water, Hank - shame the fish didn't play their part tho!

Not 100% if it is Grant - but I know that he has a 'triple rig' that he puts up the front of his yak for his flag, bait rod etc, so reckon it could be him!! I'll try & track down some other pics of his rig as comparison.

At least you were out there, giving it a shot! :D Better luck next time. Great pics - looks like "peak Hour' for boaties!!

cheerio

Roberta

The fish in your pix is a Wahoo not a Spanish Mackerel

Hi Hotbite.

Grant's Guide to Fishes states that the trailing edge of the tail of a Wahoo is almost vertical and lacks the characteristic deep incurve of a typical Mackerel tail.

The trailing edges of the tail of the fish in the pic has the deep incurve that Grant attributes to a Spanish Mackerel. Also the skipper, a very experienced charter operator called it for a Mackerel. I did note that the tail was smaller than I expected for the size of the fish and that the tail had caudal keels much like you see on a Mako.

I have no experience of either species however given the skippers call and Grant's description I am happy to stick with Spanish Mackerel.

I do agree that except for the tail and the dorsal fins it appears that there is little to distinguish between the two species.

Cheers

Paikea

Obviously I need some educating on the subject of Mackerel v Wahoo.

I usually rely on a couple of well known reference books when identifying fish that I am not familiar with. "Grant's Guide to Fishing" and Theo Roughley's "Fish and Fisheries of Australia." Both of these are well recognised as reliable sources of information. Both mention the tail profile (level trailing edge v deep indent) as a key feature of both fish.

Given the very firm views of those Raiders who unequivocally state that the fish is a Wahoo what is it about the fish that makes it a Wahoo and not a Mackerel?

Thanks for any light that anyone can throw on this matter and educate me in the process.

Cheers

Paikea

post-1424-0-57736100-1395014674_thumb.jpg This is a Wahoo

post-1424-0-72067300-1395014739_thumb.jpg This is a Spanish Mac

Both these were caught at SWR. A bit smaller than yours but I think they show the difference. Ive spent a lot of time at SWR over the last 25 years and it's just like any other location, sometimes the fish dont play ball!!

It's harder on a charter boat to get 10 fishermen a great fish, more so if light game fishing. If you were in a tinnie with a mate and caught that fish it would be a great days fishing! Small concillation I know when you fork out the extra dollors, but thats fishin!

Thank you Sword and Rabbit, they do look alike don't they?

Shows you that we are never to old to learn.

As to not catching any fish it was still a good day on the water. Especially as (due to some medical problems) it was my first trip out in more than 2 years.

Cheers

Paikea

Hi Hank

Just checked with my buddy - Yes, it was Grant in the kayak (who has caught probably in excess of 20 marlin from kayak plus numerous 20lb+ snapper, wahoo, big spanish & spotties, cobia, tuna of all sorts & even sharks ......) He said that a charter boat had asked if he had a marlin on - but it was a bit spanish! :) Mystery solved! :D

cheerio

Roberta

Hi Roberta

"He said that a charter boat had asked if he had a marlin on - but it was a big Spanish! Mystery solved!"

Yup, that was our skipper who asked him that. Grant had a decent bend in his rod, the only one among all of the fishos to do so in the "Boat Park". Guess he knows something.

Cheers

Paikea