Daiwa Interline rods

GreyNurse

As the title suggests, has anyone one of these rods in their arsenal? If so, are they any good? Pros and cons? Would love to hear as this rod, for those that don't know, has no runners. The line passes internally through the rod. Wierd stuff.

I used to have one of those and got rid of it. Too many headaches. Threading your line through with the special tool every time was a pain and leader joins would have problems going through the hole to the inside of the rod.

I did like the sensitivity and the no tip wraps in particular.

Edited by Roylo

You have to be very careful of what knot you use to join leader to braid - if it is too big, it can get 'stuck' in the middle of the rod. I have a 'lookalike' Interline (not Daiwa) and when I used it in NZ a couple of years ago, the knot got caught up & when I tried to pull it out, it pulled a part of the interior of the rod with it! :mellow: I am in the process of fixing it now!

A yak buddy has one & loves it.
Roberta

You have to be very careful of what knot you use to join leader to braid - if it is too big, it can get 'stuck' in the middle of the rod. I have a 'lookalike' Interline (not Daiwa) and when I used it in NZ a couple of years ago, the knot got caught up & when I tried to pull it out, it pulled a part of the interior of the rod with it! :mellow: I am in the process of fixing it now!

A yak buddy has one & loves it.

Roberta

Oh yes you just reminded me as its been a long time since I had an Interline. If you happen to get a wind knot when casting, it gets wedged inside the rod and you have lots of fun trying to dig it out.

Its a shame they have these few problems as they could be good rods. One of my pet hates are tip wraps and with Interline there is no such thing.

Thanks for the replies, guys.

I anticipated the leader knot problem. You've both just confirmed it. I find that most wind knots I've had come from tying on lures too light for the braid that I'm using. I've not had a problem with heavier lures. It's then a matter of working the lure to best imitate that wounded baitfish.

However, what about using mono? No leader required, really, just a trace connected by a swivel. (Like in the good ol' days.)

I like the theory behind the advertising blurb, but I thought it best to ask real "field testers". Looking forward to more feedback.

Edited by GreyNurse

The concept of Interline rods was around at least as far back as the 70s, when a South African company had the patent on the system. Back then, they were as scarce as hen's teeth in Australia and were designed for baitcasters. No braid then, just mono. I always wanted to try one but couldn't afford one if I could find one. I'd be interested in hearing of experiences with the "reborn" Interlines, too.

Baz

• 4 weeks later...

Hey Nursie

I purchased an Interline rod a while ago and i've got to say i love it. The sensitivity is out of this world, you feel every little touch. The rod combined with vibes or soft vibes is unbeatable. Infact I was landing Dollies on it last week and it still performed, my bream fishing has never been so good. You do have to be careful with knots out of the end and regularly replace the knot from braid to flouro. But it is my favourite rod.

I did have a problem early on, with some line that got caught in the end, but the boys at Diawa, Brookvale fixed it on the spot, for no cost.

The curve on the rod, when under load is sensational and the locking grip for the real seat is very one of the best. Its worth investing in the silicon coated braid with eight strands. it casts beautifuly

Dredog